Everything is wrong

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OMGthisTANK

AC Members
Sep 27, 2016
Ok so long story short I just had a freshwater tank dropped in my lap because the owner got "tired of messing with it"
I've never had a tank that I didn't start myself so I really don't know how to fix this tank.
I tested the ph, ammonia, and nitrates first thing. This tank had no natural light and was being lit with only the cheap led that came with the tank.
All I have done so far is set up a natural light on them.
pH - 6
Ammonia - literally off the chart high
NO2 - 2.0 PPM
NO3 - 5.0 PPM

Amazingly enough, there are 5 small fish and 2 real plants living in this 15 gallon tank.

Please help me fix this tank!!!

image.jpeg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Read about 'Old tank syndrome' and do lots of smaller water changes for the immediate future, to get the fish used to better, more suitable conditions.

If you have an established, existing tank, put some of the filter media into this one.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Agreed with dougall, lots of small water changes to adjust the fish down.

I'm amazed anything is alive in that tank!!

OMGthisTANK

AC Members
Sep 27, 2016
Agreed with dougall, lots of small water changes to adjust the fish down.

I'm amazed anything is alive in that tank!!
I know! This tank is only 2 months old and there is only one survivor from his original batch of fish. We've named that fish Lucky.

OMGthisTANK

AC Members
Sep 27, 2016
Read about 'Old tank syndrome' and do lots of smaller water changes for the immediate future, to get the fish used to better, more suitable conditions.

If you have an established, existing tank, put some of the filter media into this one.
Unfortunately I don't have an established tank anymore. This does seem like "old tank syndrome" even though the tank is only 2 months old.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It is likely just not cycled, but with minimal, if any, water changes.

I know, not much help there.

True old tank syndrome would be cycled, and just off the charts high nitrates.

ignore the algae for now, it's likely diatoms eating the silicates that make it to the water column from the substrate, and that's really the least of your worries, and it will go away once the silicates are used up.

One thing that will help, is making sure the gravel in the tank is cleaned of detritus (old food etc) and that any rotting plant (or fish) matter is removed immediately.

Normally when doing a fish in cycle, you would do frequent large water changes in order to keep ammonia and nitrites at low enough to be safe levels,. OTS will deal with not making large changes to water chemistry that would shock the fish.

prime (Or other products... I just use prime personally) will neutralize the ammonia and nitrite to stop them harming the fish, which would be a good first order of business.

second getting water changes started, start with maybe 10% every other hour (or as possible) to get levels down, and get the fish used to your tap water, If you raise this with each water change you will get them to the point that you can change virtually all the water and them not be stressed by the process. once volumes get bigger you can do changes less often.

Keep testing the water, once you get water change volume at a high enough volume, you can change as much water as you want (bigger is better).

Keep testing your water, and noting results; Overall you want ammonia and nitrite readings to keep in a downward motion and keep them in safe levels.

eventually you will read no ammonia or nitrite, at which point you can consider yourself cycled (at least for whatever fish you have)

don't add fish until you are cycled, and don't add many, until your water tests show no ammonia or nitrite again after previous additions.

Hope that helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store