Eco complete substrate.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
Hey all, I’m putting together another 75 gal planted to move my community from my 29 gal. I was going to use eco complete black substrate. I picked up 6 20lb bags but I think I’ll need more? Is 6 enough or maybe 8?
I was going to do sand again but I’m having the hardest time vacuuming it, pull more water then filth??

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The amount you need really depends on the depth you want it; which in turn will depend on any aquascapes you choose and needs of your plants .

You can lessen the amount you use by increasing hardscape to take up the space, or burying bags of less expensive stuff, like lava rock or pea gravel.

Otherwise you can use something like https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate...bstance/substrate-coma-and-blank-eco-complete

Reactions: IceH2O

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
No problem :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have Eco in 1 tank, now maybe 2 or 2.5 inches at most. I started out with it in a 75g & 6 bags were enough. Other than sword plants it works for all plants I've tried. Well, most big swords are ok in 2.5". Unlike some, I like my Eco (not the sand version)! Mine might be almost 20 years old, lol.

Like dougall said, it depends on the plants you want to keep & your hardscape. What's your plan/wish list?

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
Swords and crypts and low light ones I can bury. I’m done with anubias and Java fern. Not a fan of the glueing or tying to stuff.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
just remember that eco-complete is mostly inert, you will need to add some sort of nutrition for crypts and swords.

Look to add some form of root tabs that contain both Macro AND Micro nutrients (Lots of common ones don't do much in the name of Macros)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
liquid ferts don't do terribly much for heavy oroot feeding plants like you mentioned, and can add to algae peonlems if you don't have plants that feed from the water column.

and be sure that the root tabs you use are complete, read what it says on the box.

Nyk0nn

AC Members
Sep 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Real Name
B
I use the liquid for the anubias and Java fern I have now but I’m yanking them out. I have a pogo “octopus” plant cutting that attached to my prefilter that has been doing good with the liquid ferts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store