Easy Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Hmm, what do you mean "not good"? What are the ammonia, nitrite & nitrate #s? An easy way to get the good bacteria is to use some decor from your big tank (rocks, decorations, fake plants, even substrate you can put in a mesh bag like panty hose). Let the sponge filter run to help oxygenate & spread the beneficial bacteria. Leave them for a month or so. Water change as needed. Have him get in the habit of changing 25% or more every week if he's old enough. Otherwise you'll need to help.

Skip the tank water, there's not much in it besides a little nitrate that you won't need. There's probably enough beneficial bacteria on the plants for a (few) shrimp (oops, NO!) Oh, I see they are going to be new plants, not from your 54g. They were probably (almost positively) grown without fish, so not much bacteria on them. I think I'd just run the sponge filter in the tiny tank with new plants & old decor. The shrimp will love grazing on the moss balls especially.

Wait to buy the shrimp until things look safer. They're so small & eat & poo so little it'll be hard to tell but ammonia & nitrite can hurt them (you this, right?) I would only get 4 or 6 shrimp, neocaridinas (1 color) are easier than caridinas (bee shrimp red & white, black & white, etc.) IME. Neo shrimp the females are more colorful; the males kinda clear with some faint color. The colors will mix in a not too pretty brownish way so get all red, yellow or blue, etc. Make sure to get a male (or 2 in case of accident). The others all females. You or the lfs should be able to tell even if they're fairly small.

They should breed pretty easily so make a plan! It's interesting to watch the females hold the eggs & then try to find the very tiny new shrimplets. Be very careful to feed only a very tiny amount & maybe not every day. A little spec of cooked veg or fish food (any) like the size of a sesame seed or so. You won't need special foods.

He might be able to sell some of the offspring back to the lfs, at his school? or maybe social media (be very careful about creepy people, meet somewhere busy) But it might be another interesting aspect & earn a few $. Or if that doesn't sound doable you might feed shrimplets to your big tank. They might even survive & provide continuing live food. How old is your son? That could be upsetting or cool/gross, I don't have kids.

Reactions: railer20

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Hmm, what do you mean "not good"? What are the ammonia, nitrite & nitrate #s? An easy way to get the good bacteria is to use some decor from your big tank (rocks, decorations, fake plants, even substrate you can put in a mesh bag like panty hose). Let the sponge filter run to help oxygenate & spread the beneficial bacteria. Leave them for a month or so. Water change as needed. Have him get in the habit of changing 25% or more every week if he's old enough. Otherwise you'll need to help.

Skip the tank water, there's not much in it besides a little nitrate that you won't need. There's probably enough beneficial bacteria on the plants for a (few) shrimp (oops, NO!) Oh, I see they are going to be new plants, not from your 54g. They were probably (almost positively) grown without fish, so not much bacteria on them. I think I'd just run the sponge filter in the tiny tank with new plants & old decor. The shrimp will love grazing on the moss balls especially.

Wait to buy the shrimp until things look safer. They're so small & eat & poo so little it'll be hard to tell but ammonia & nitrite can hurt them (you this, right?) I would only get 4 or 6 shrimp, neocaridinas (1 color) are easier than caridinas (bee shrimp red & white, black & white, etc.) IME. Neo shrimp the females are more colorful; the males kinda clear with some faint color. The colors will mix in a not too pretty brownish way so get all red, yellow or blue, etc. Make sure to get a male (or 2 in case of accident). The others all females. You or the lfs should be able to tell even if they're fairly small.

They should breed pretty easily so make a plan! It's interesting to watch the females hold the eggs & then try to find the very tiny new shrimplets. Be very careful to feed only a very tiny amount & maybe not every day. A little spec of cooked veg or fish food (any) like the size of a sesame seed or so. You won't need special foods.

He might be able to sell some of the offspring back to the lfs, at his school? or maybe social media (be very careful about creepy people, meet somewhere busy) But it might be another interesting aspect & earn a few $. Or if that doesn't sound doable you might feed shrimplets to your big tank. They might even survive & provide continuing live food. How old is your son? That could be upsetting or cool/gross, I don't have kids.
Here were the test results. So just leave my sponge filter in the small tank thats in there, and put some sand from my big tank in some panty hose? I have some rock caves in my big tank i can put in there as well for a bit that have a little algae buildup . Just need to make sure I get off all the mud snails first 🥴. And then weekly water changes even with no animal life in there? Do I need to dose ammonia or anything?

1709611268816.png

1709611405089.png

Attachments

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Without the card I can't tell what those colors mean except dark red & purple seem very high for something...

Was this from your tap water that you filled the new tiny tank with? Or your 54g tank's water? Can you show your tap water #s with the card please & also your 54g. The tiny tank can easily be emptied & started over.

I don't understand, but DO NOT put animals in there.

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Without the card I can't tell what those colors mean except dark red & purple seem very high for something...

Was this from your tap water that you filled the new tiny tank with? Or your 54g tank's water? Can you show your tap water #s with the card please & also your 54g. The tiny tank can easily be emptied & started over.

I don't understand, but DO NOT put animals in there.
it was from my 54 gal :s

I will test my tap and tank tomorrow when I get back home

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
If you've got any gravel or such in your main tank, move some over to the 2g to help Kickstart it there. The shrimp will also appreciate the headstart on a good biofilm.

Fishorama has you covered otherwise, so won't repeat anything else

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
If you've got any gravel or such in your main tank, move some over to the 2g to help Kickstart it there. The shrimp will also appreciate the headstart on a good biofilm.

Fishorama has you covered otherwise, so won't repeat anything else
I have a whole bag of the sand I use in my big tank. So I could easily take sand out of my existing tank and put it in this tank, then replenish my big tank. My question is, is there a way to get rid of any of the mud snails that would be in my sand before adding it to my shrimp tank? I do not want them in there.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I have a whole bag of the sand I use in my big tank. So I could easily take sand out of my existing tank and put it in this tank, then replenish my big tank. My question is, is there a way to get rid of any of the mud snails that would be in my sand before adding it to my shrimp tank? I do not want them in there.
Best advice would to be try to use a very fine mesh net or strainer to sift the snails out of the sand you move over. Mud snails though are super small, so you may struggle with that.

Do you have any rocks or driftwood hardscape?

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Best advice would to be try to use a very fine mesh net or strainer to sift the snails out of the sand you move over. Mud snails though are super small, so you may struggle with that.

Do you have any rocks or driftwood hardscape?
I have some rock cave type deals I was going to move to the small tank to help get it going and then move back. They aren’t real rocks.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I have some rock cave type deals I was going to move to the small tank to help get it going and then move back. They aren’t real rocks.
They'd still be beneficial. Don't let them dry, just move them straight from your big tank to the shrimp tank, remove any snails.

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Ok so the image with both PH tests is my tap water. Looks like around 8.2 Ph, 1.0 Ammonia, and maybe 5.0 nitrates.

The other is my 54 gal tank. I hang around 7.6 Ph, 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites. Here’s where I get hammered about Nitrates (water change, get live plants, etc). Long story short, normally change 33% weekly, but I have been pulled out of town the last two weeks for family stuff so a couple changes coming on that to get those down.

IMG_1040.jpeg

IMG_1039.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store