Discussion -- Releasing Pets into the Wild

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Lobo. said:
kiduv like when peta bought all the minks from a mink farm, and released them into the english countryside, where they ran umok killing native plants and animals until the local townspeople rallied and killed them off...
They tried the same thing here....half ran one way out onto a the country's most major highway and were squashed, the other half ran off the cliffs on the other side and plunged hundreds of feet to the rocks below.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
fishcatch22 said:
yeah, we had the same thing back in florida.
..and Florida is so much worse...they now have almost as many introduced species of fauna as native species....burmese pythons, water monitors and Nile monitors are breeding in the everglades and canal systems, and you can catch every fish from oscars and pacu to clown knives and bichirs in local waters.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
I was at my grandparants in October fishing off a bridge and caught a box turtle. The poor thing would not have lasted another week.(It was the last warm week of the year. Luckily I got the hook out without hurting it any more and took it to the LFS. I wonder how it is now...

Evan214

iSi se puede!
Nov 12, 2006
Los Angeles
WeeNe858 said:
we have all sorts of things here in orange county cali from keets to cats to koi to red eared sliders... we even found a GIANt soft shelled turtle at a park backing.. it had a 2 ft diameter!
Where in Orange COunty do you live (north, south...) because that's where I live and I've never heard of "wild" koi or giant shelled turtles! Wow!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
fballguy said:
I was at my grandparants in October fishing off a bridge and caught a box turtle. The poor thing would not have lasted another week.(It was the last warm week of the year. Luckily I got the hook out without hurting it any more and took it to the LFS. I wonder how it is now...
box turtles are temperate animals that hibernate in the winter. it could have easily survived.

was it an eastern box turtle or something? in that case, you did the right thing.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
I don't know my turtles very well, so I don't know. I do know it was a box turtle though. Either way it was not a native turtle and should not have been there.

I told my uncle about it and he said you have to be careful because sometimes people catch big snapping turtles while fishing. He said one time he caught a 2 footer! I would be scared to bring that thing close to me. The last thing I want when I'm fishing is a 2 foot snapping turtle getting pissed off at me.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Evan214 said:
Someone stated above that there is a Monk Parrot population in the wild in Chicago. Well in Long Beach, CA, there is a wild parakeet flock of apparently escaped or released pets. The first time I saw them, I had to double-take because I just thought they were extremely colorful pidgeons. But no, they are honest to God parakeets! Just thought I'd let an interesting fact out.
i think they are in a few more citys then long beach. i am 5 miles or so away from long beach and there is a pack that used to live in my high school. i have seen fish that dont belong in almost every park lake around.

i think its something that more people needs to be informed of. its not only people putting fish into environments that they dont belong. Joe125 was telling me in fl that the local gov is stocking the lakes with non native fish.

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
I wouldn't so much blame rogue carp and goldfish on aquarists as I would blame them on fishermen who buy a dozen or two for live bait and then dump the leftovers into the water afterward because they don't have anything else they can do with them. That is how a lot of carp and goldfish end up taking over reservoirs and other bodies of water. That's certainly what happened there at the reservoir in our local town. Nowadays, you have to go through the carp and the alligator gars to get any good fishing down there... : /

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Also as for talk of turtles... the local public aquarium here has an alligator turtle who's head is LITERALLY as big as mine!!! O___O;;;

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store