Debating Sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Every time I see the title of this post I want to ask. "Who won the debate, you or the sand?"

The sand comes in two different ways. One comes with the cycling junk and the other does not. When I was accumulating mine they only offered the cycling one. I threw out this stuff as it is worthless. I then rinsed the sand well because it comes wet with I know not what- ugh.

I was getting it in 20 lb bags. I would rinse it as follows. Outside using a hose and a 5 gal bucket. I pour in the sand and insert the hose. Sometime I push it into the sand to the bottom of the bucket as that helps stir it. As the bucket fills with water I will stir it with my hand. This helps bring a lot of the dusty dirt to the surface and when the bucket start overflowing it carries out the crap. I will then tilt the buck and pour out a bunch of the dirty water. I then repeat the process as many times as it takes to produce pretty clear water in the bucket. This may ne 3- 5 fills.

Because I have set up summer tanks outdoors for years, I use sand in them. At the end of the season I have to remove the sand and dry it (a long process- the thinner the layer, the faster it dries). The next time I need to use this sand I have to rinse it again. So I have gotten pretty good at it. I would say it takes me less about 10 minutes a bag including filling and removing the clean sand from the bucket.

I tend not to go to the cleanest I could get it. However, I have a reason I can leave a bunch of junk still in it. I have a number of H.O.T. Magnums. This is a 250 gph hand on the tank canister. There are micron cartridges (actually cylinders) for this and they filter out stuff down to 10 microns. If even more is needed you can add a tablespoon or three to the filter water and it will polish it amazingly. So I can put in substrate and water and then run one of two of these for a while and they clean the water pretty well.

Reactions: railer20

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Every time I see the title of this post I want to ask. "Who won the debate, you or the sand?"

The sand comes in two different ways. One comes with the cycling junk and the other does not. When I was accumulating mine they only offered the cycling one. I threw out this stuff as it is worthless. I then rinsed the sand well because it comes wet with I know not what- ugh.

I was getting it in 20 lb bags. I would rinse it as follows. Outside using a hose and a 5 gal bucket. I pour in the sand and insert the hose. Sometime I push it into the sand to the bottom of the bucket as that helps stir it. As the bucket fills with water I will stir it with my hand. This helps bring a lot of the dusty dirt to the surface and when the bucket start overflowing it carries out the crap. I will then tilt the buck and pour out a bunch of the dirty water. I then repeat the process as many times as it takes to produce pretty clear water in the bucket. This may ne 3- 5 fills.

Because I have set up summer tanks outdoors for years, I use sand in them. At the end of the season I have to remove the sand and dry it (a long process- the thinner the layer, the faster it dries). The next time I need to use this sand I have to rinse it again. So I have gotten pretty good at it. I would say it takes me less about 10 minutes a bag including filling and removing the clean sand from the bucket.

I tend not to go to the cleanest I could get it. However, I have a reason I can leave a bunch of junk still in it. I have a number of H.O.T. Magnums. This is a 250 gph hand on the tank canister. There are micron cartridges (actually cylinders) for this and they filter out stuff down to 10 microns. If even more is needed you can add a tablespoon or three to the filter water and it will polish it amazingly. So I can put in substrate and water and then run one of two of these for a while and they clean the water pretty well.
Mine doesn’t even look wet so figured I would rinse. I bought 2 bags that are 50# bags. Hoping I only need to use 1 in my tank. 54 gallon corner tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, if it's dry sand I would rinse it too. 50lb bags & you may need to rinse in 2 batches. I used Rubbermaid tubs (30g?, bigger than buckets) but did like 2tank did. As he said, it doesn't have to be perfectly dust-free. Do the best you can, water changes will help fix any cloudiness.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, not all decor is fish safe...not to be taken too lightly, but you did tease us...Maybe Lego cars/plane or something like that? It'll be fun to see what you do!

I'm more of a natural tank scaper but I appreciate the more wild themes too. It's your tank, make it fun for you +/or your kids.

& then we'll talk about live plants later, LOL...it's coming, be prepared ;)

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Yeah, not all decor is fish safe...not to be taken too lightly, but you did tease us...Maybe Lego cars/plane or something like that? It'll be fun to see what you do!

I'm more of a natural tank scaper but I appreciate the more wild themes too. It's your tank, make it fun for you +/or your kids.

& then we'll talk about live plants later, LOL...it's coming, be prepared ;)
I debated…just don’t know if I want to mess with proper lighting, fertz and all that yet!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, not all of us planty people go with high light, or much (if any) ferts, etc...When you're ready we'll talk about it, no hurry, no pressure...well, a tiny bit of pressure for the future. Something to think about for later. When you can't add more fish you can try some plants, it's fun & doesn't have to be hard at all or expensive...but it can be addictive ;) (disclaimer, I belong to a plant club, lol. Everyone needs a live plant or 2).

Really, I'm happy your tank is getting to where you want it to be! Get the hang of taking care of it & enjoy your fish. That's what our hobby is all about :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store