Containing fish while servicing tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

undertow

Factory sealed for your protection
Dec 4, 2002
Las Vegas,NV
Visit site
Do you contain your fish while servicing tank?

That thought just came to my head...I guess im directing this more towards Umbee,Midas,Dovii,Festae,GT etc.etc owners-Do you let your fish bite you while cleaning algae or arranging caves? It's not that the bites from my female GT(4.5-5") hurt that much. It's the suprise of the assault that hurts, mostly my elbow from seeing her charge and then banging it into the lid!

Sometimes I will use a net to keep her at bay while doing maintenance. Basically when I am tired and my elbow says to do so...:)

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
With my Midas/RD cross, I got used to working around her. She would mostly attack the gravel vac. Occasionally going for my fingers. If I pushed her away with the vac she got even more aggressive. So I just worked my way around her.

Now scrubbing algae off the glass was another story. I used a net to keep her at bay. Most of the time she would net herself trying to bite me and I'd lay the net against the glass. I took her a few minutes to get out of it. In the meantime I hurried my butt off to finish cleaning off the algae.

I could not stick my hands in her tank at all for any reason without her charging me. She has some really nasty looking teeth to boot. So IF she got a hold of you it was going to hurt. She didn't just bite and let go. She'd bite and violently shake back and forth. Like she was trying to take a chunk out.. LOL.

She's the fish that jumped out of the water to bite my face.. And she was only about 6 inches long.

Jukax

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I haven't kept anything as aggressive as a Red Devil, but I've owned quite aggressive Jack Dempseys and Green Terrors and never had a problem doing tank maintenance. They're too preoccupied attacking the gravel vac than they are me. I've been nipped a few times when I've had both my arms full sumberged in the tank while doing some aquascaping, rearranging rocks and pots and replacing plants back into the gravel.

If I had a Rhom or something truly aggressive, like some breeding RD's, Jags or Dovii's, then I would be a bit more worried. I know a guy who owns a 16" Rhom in a 180g tank and he always performs tank maintenance with another person - one to do the work while the other tries to keep the rhom away with a giant net.

Wench

AC Members
Feb 25, 2002
Cleveland, NY
This week my female oscar has been digging and piling gravel all over the tank. Some areas the gravel was probably a good 5-6 inches deep. Holes all over the place. Today I cleaned the tank and she fought me the entire way. She bit me twice, while trying to defend myself with the gravel vac.

I posted this pic once before but will try it again. This is the midas, a baby mind you. It has an attitude just going near the tank, I can't imagine what cleaning its tank will be like when it's full grown.

undertow

Factory sealed for your protection
Dec 4, 2002
Las Vegas,NV
Visit site
LOL, "Nice"fish and cool shot! Can't make up my mind on what to get-Festae,Midas,or Midas/RD! So far, Im thinking Terror!:D

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
You can buy 'chainmail' gloves for the food industry, keeps people from cutting their hands all the time while chopping stuff. It would probably be quite effective against fish attacks.

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
Here's a few pics of my Midas/RD cross.. Really nice fish.. But way too aggressive. The only time she liked me was feeding time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store