Chipped corner on 64 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Villdraine

AC Members
Jul 24, 2022
I moved the tank to get a better angle or it would have been impossible to get an underside picture.
There is only 10 gallon in it to test the seal, not the glass

Villdraine

AC Members
Jul 24, 2022
I move the tank a little on the side to be able to take a picture of the underside otherwise the tank sit perfectly on the stand.

I also have 10 gallon of water only in it to see if the seal was leaking and not to test the glass itself, but so far so good

Villdraine

AC Members
Jul 24, 2022
This is what I would do if I were in the same situation-
I would cut two strips of glass, perhaps about 1.5-3 inches wide, and 3 or so long. I would silicone one on the front of the tank and one on the side, flush with the bottom pane, and glued to each other at the angle where they meet. I would then test the tank (fully filled) for a while, in a non-threatening place (basement, outside, etc.).
If it holds, then I would feel good and would forget about it. Perhaps this side of the tank can be used as the back, if it is not drilled, scratched or sometime else. I would not just trash the tank right away or assume i8t will not hold water.
F FJB
If I understand correctly is this what you are picturing?

187243-8a55f384e1d78495130b3a1e8d33e898.png

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Newer pics... and picking up on what Joel (Freshy) said, it doesn't look right to me...I'm used to the vertical panels sitting on the bottom panel...If they aren't, I suggest not using it.

Villdraine

AC Members
Jul 24, 2022
Rbishop Rbishop
Lots of company do that for bigger aquarium so I am not worry about that really.
But I understand where this is coming cause in the aquarium circle this as been a debate for a while now

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I also believe it's a USA vs. rest of the world thing too, as well as the penchant for the US to still have rimmed aquariums.

As long as the base is supported, it causes me no additional concern... but I wouldn't be wanting to use a chipped aquarium either though unless it was going into a basement fish room with a floor drain.

Villdraine

AC Members
Jul 24, 2022
Yup, Still working things out but since the chip is on the edge I am thinking of having the front, back and bottom glass, since its not tempered glass, cut
by a professional and just rebuilt it so instead of being 48 inch wide it will be something like 46

Reactions: dougall

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The thing with rimmed tanks, they only have to be level along the edges & nothing underneath the tank "middle". With a solid glass bottom you need a really flat surface under the entire bottom pane or very thick glass. I only had 1 tank like that, a "homemade rimless" 40g long with thick (1/4 in +) glass. It weighed a ton!! (or to you Canadians, a tonne, sorry, lame humor, lol).

I agree with Freshy & Bob, it doesn't look quite right. I'd prefer the side panes to on top of the bottom.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store