Chipped corner on 64 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Villdraine

AC Members
Jul 24, 2022
Hello,

I have this 64 gallon tank and its currently empty
but I just notice that on a bottom cvorner there is a small chip in the side panel.
I did fill it with some water just to see if the silicon was aftected but its not leaking.
The thicknes of the glass is 3/8 or 9mm and the chip is maybe half of that.

If i fill it with silicon will it be enough to stop later crack or the panel is just total lost?

294159754_10158899880991989_3520221089852226766_n.jpg
294359506_10158899881086989_175702458211915976_n.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC!

That seems pretty iffy to me. I'm not sure of the dimensions of a 64g but whatever...I'd put it outdoors in a level place (check!) & slowly fill it & leave it for a week or 2.

Are both your stand & tank dead level in all directions? (front to back, end to end & both diagonals?)

Really, I think I'd never trust it. Maybe for a paludarium where it would be less than half full. But even 25g+ of water would make a major mess.

I don't think silicone would help & replacing panels is not a good idea. Too many structural things to go wrong...& a heck of a lot of work

What are the tank's dimensions? I think it's Petsmart is having 1/2 off tanks sale...but I don't think 64g is a standard size...

Or you could sell off the tank & stand to a reptile keeper...

Sorry that's all I've got

Reactions: Rbishop

Villdraine

AC Members
Jul 24, 2022
Thank you.

Dimension of the tank are 48X16X20 and the glass is 3/8 thick or 9.5mm

The chip in the picture may look big but in reality it's maybe 3mm wide and 5mm deep

The stand and tank are pretty leveled. Only a difference of 2mm from one side to the other.

I live in Quebec so we don't have PetSmart sadly here and I've never heard of sale like that here. I am a bit jealous haha

Imma test it outside for a little bit and see what happen I guess.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's a nice size. My thought is that your corner chip is it's into part of the tank's structure. I don't feel like I can give you good advice.

Is your tank 16 inches high or front to back...Neither is a US standard, many of us ACers are in the US. We do have Canadian members, maybe they have good ideas. If the stand seems square how much would it cost to replace just the tank? You're kind of at a crossroads...sell the tank & stand & get a different set up...new or used. Or like I said before, use it as a paludarium. Those can be very cool, read up on them...

What is/was you plan for this tank? That might help us help you decide what to do...

Hopefully others have ideas, I'm sorry to be so lame...Give it several days, it's summer holidays everywhere :)

Villdraine

AC Members
Jul 24, 2022
I totally understand.
My plan for this aquarium is a full aquascape with a crazy amount of plants and some pretty fish.
I had aquarium for over 20 years now but never had a chip or anything happening to them so this is a 1st for me.
Tomorrow I will call a place that cut glass and see if it's something affordable to have a back panel cut.
I can change it, that's not a big deal for me.

Humm paludarium is actually not a bad idea.

Thanks a lot.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
This is what I would do if I were in the same situation-
I would cut two strips of glass, perhaps about 1.5-3 inches wide, and 3 or so long. I would silicone one on the front of the tank and one on the side, flush with the bottom pane, and glued to each other at the angle where they meet. I would then test the tank (fully filled) for a while, in a non-threatening place (basement, outside, etc.).
If it holds, then I would feel good and would forget about it. Perhaps this side of the tank can be used as the back, if it is not drilled, scratched or sometime else. I would not just trash the tank right away or assume i8t will not hold water.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'm with FJB on this.

Curious, is the bottom pane of glass covering the height of the chipped area. If so, I'd be cool with an external glass patch and use it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't have a good feel for how this panel sits with the tank in normal operation.

From the pics I see, that whole panel is not supported and kind of hangs in the air?

I suppose it's good that the chip is on an outside corner, but you never know if a crack will propagate.

I have not had great luck in terms of leaks, cracks and frame breakage with consumer grade, store bought tanks from 10 to 55gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store