Changing water & testing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
She said I shouldn't have changed the water, that I needed to leave it natural for at least one month.
See what I mean? lol. Too often they don't get taught the science behind it. Usually isn't their fault. Just be careful taking advice from them. There is an old school of thought to get some cheap feeder fish, leave them for a month, and the tank will be cycled. Also the fish will suffer, and possibly die, and if not you are stuck with an unhealthy fish you didn't want in the first place. Not very humane. I'm sure quite a few of us did this because we didn't know any better, but I would have never if i knew the right way from the start. Good to see you keeping with it!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
She said I shouldn't have changed the water, that I needed to leave it natural for at least one month.
I agree. . . unfortunately my training from corp was that I should tell customers to not touch the water the first month or two and that would let the tank cycle. Luckily, my boss was a super fish nerd and got me taught up right and actually led me onto here and MFK. Its because of him that I know what I know and actually have the degree I have with getting the master's I am and the PhD opportunity I got offered. . . agh, wine . .. I digress.

Yes, I recommend that you spend any time you can educating yourself before trusting the shop girls/guys . . . they might be knowledgeable (my store always was) but they could also be full of corp BS. . . its a roll of the dice on what you're gonna get. . .

Betts Baby

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2015
See what I mean? lol. Too often they don't get taught the science behind it. Usually isn't their fault. Just be careful taking advice from them. There is an old school of thought to get some cheap feeder fish, leave them for a month, and the tank will be cycled. Also the fish will suffer, and possibly die, and if not you are stuck with an unhealthy fish you didn't want in the first place. Not very humane. I'm sure quite a few of us did this because we didn't know any better, but I would have never if i knew the right way from the start. Good to see you keeping with it!
Thanks now I'm on a new dilemma, I guess cuz I got fish from a mom & pop pet store, or maybe because my lil buddies were stressed...but it's ich...lil dots all over. I read on the web to use malachite green, or other remedies, but it's best to remove fish & doctor the tank...startin to feel like a Captain Nemo adventure...any thoughts?

Betts Baby

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2015
I agree. . . unfortunately my training from corp was that I should tell customers to not touch the water the first month or two and that would let the tank cycle. Luckily, my boss was a super fish nerd and got me taught up right and actually led me onto here and MFK. Its because of him that I know what I know and actually have the degree I have with getting the master's I am and the PhD opportunity I got offered. . . agh, wine . .. I digress.

Yes, I recommend that you spend any time you can educating yourself before trusting the shop girls/guys . . . they might be knowledgeable (my store always was) but they could also be full of corp BS. . . its a roll of the dice on what you're gonna get. . .
Yeppers

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
What does it mean when it says your thread was deleted about water changin? Still trying to figure the ins And outs of this site.
You posted the same thing twice. Some mod deleted one of the two duplicates. The duplicate you put into "general chitchat" is no more.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Thanks now I'm on a new dilemma, I guess cuz I got fish from a mom & pop pet store, or maybe because my lil buddies were stressed...but it's ich...lil dots all over. I read on the web to use malachite green, or other remedies, but it's best to remove fish & doctor the tank...startin to feel like a Captain Nemo adventure...any thoughts?
You likely got ich because of the stress of the cycling. Ich is pretty much in the water all the time and when the fish get stressed their immune system weakens and allows the parasites to take hold.
I've always treated ich with salt and heat, I don't like the chemicals, but that's just me. Removing the fish won't do anything good for you as you'll just move the parasite with them. Because you are trying to cycle your tank, salt and heat will likely be the safest route to go. Malachite green is good at killing bacteria, along with parasites, and because your tank isn't established it would likely set you back over to the beginning. The link below does a pretty good job of explaining how malachite green works.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/malachite.htm

Betts Baby

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2015
You posted the same thing twice. Some mod deleted one of the two duplicates. The duplicate you put into "general chitchat" is no more.
Thanks I didn't remember where to post when I did that, then I looked at the posts and realized oops wrong spot. Thanks for keepin me pointed true north:)

Betts Baby

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2015
You likely got ich because of the stress of the cycling. Ich is pretty much in the water all the time and when the fish get stressed their immune system weakens and allows the parasites to take hold.
I've always treated ich with salt and heat, I don't like the chemicals, but that's just me. Removing the fish won't do anything good for you as you'll just move the parasite with them. Because you are trying to cycle your tank, salt and heat will likely be the safest route to go. Malachite green is good at killing bacteria, along with parasites, and because your tank isn't established it would likely set you back over to the beginning. The link below does a pretty good job of explaining how malachite green works.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/malachite.htm
Thanks so I already put salt in when I did the water change, do more? How much heat. I have heater on 75 degrees.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
How much salt did you add on the water change? And you have a 55 gallon right? Also, what temperature is the tank reading, not the heater setting.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store