canister filter recommendations

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ebola

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Hi all,

I'm looking to get back into the hobby after a few year absence. I just picked up a 29 gallon biocube, and I'd like to put two smaller fancy goldfish in it. I was wondering if anyone had experience outfitting biocubes with canister filters, and could make a recommendation Thanks!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If cost is no object, Oase makes a really nice looking canister with awesome features like the easy to remove/clean pre-filter, etc.

For a low cost canister, My Penn Plax cascade has been excellent.

I've also used Sunsuns that were great and also have a Marineland C360 in use and and Eheim classic that I recently gave away.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I'd be worried about putting a canister filter on a 29 due to current. eheim has a low end model 2213 or if you want something a bit larger 2215 but you might need to reduce the length of the spray bar. Not sure if you would want the 2213 or 2215. I generally avoid cube due to lack of real swimming spaces; and i'm not sure if a 29 gallon biocube is large enough for a gold fish long term (not saying it won't be but i have my doubts).

If you had a regular 29 gallon i woudl skip a canister filter and setup a corner matten filter. This is one of my 29 with a matten filter (look on the right). In case you wonder I'm growing out some angels that will get moved to a 120 when they are large enough:

w29_aug_2022.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't see the concern over flow even in a 29 gallon tank. If heavily planted, it may be an issue. I like to hit 4-5 times the tank volume per hour, and that's after media losses. Canisters often come in different ratings, that are not taking media losses into consideration.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
As far as I know, no filter considers media in flow rate. It would be impossible fo test all the various media combinations. I also tend to do my own media. I have 3 Eheim Pro II 2026 in use. One is loaded with the traditional Eheim media. another uses their noodle in one baskey buy AquaClear sponges in the second. The third is loaded 100% with 20 ppi Poret foam. The Poret one only needs cleaned every 3 years ort so. The other two it is twice a year.

I cannot c0mment on other brands of canister because I never considered owning one. However, whenever I can I prefer not to buy anything made in China. My oldest Eheim is now running to about 20 years. It started out the first 10 years doubling as my CO2 diffuser as I pushed pressurized CO2 through it. Despite the 20 years of use the filter is as quiet as the first day it was hooked up.

At least Oase is a German design and made in Italy, so the Chinese do not touch it. They do get some good reviews but they are relatively new in the hobby compared to some of the other brands. This means we have little information about the longer term durability and reliability of the brand.

One last observation. Many canister filters offer a model which has the heater in it. I will never ever use one of these. here is why:
1. It takes up space media could go in.
2. I prefer to have two heaters in mist tanks to protect aganst failure. If the heater gets stuck full one you may harn the filter and will more than likely kill off all the bacteria in the media.
3. I consider heaters of any brand to be the most likely piece of equipment in a tank to fail. Therefore, I want them to be easy to replace and to be able to select the brands I use. I can replace a 200w Ebo with a 200w Aquatop or any other brand I have on the shelf.
4. You need to buy the heater the filter maker wants one to use in their filter.
5. I believe Oase canisters are somewhat new to the USA market. So there is less info from here on long term reliability.

I did own a Fluval canister for about a week. It came as part of a used tanks I bought. I sold it ASAP and replaced it with an Eheim. But that was about 17 years ago and I would hope Fluval canisters have improved since then.

Reactions: Rbishop

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have only experience with Rena XP3s & 1 Fluval 404 I was given. I still have, but don't currently use, the Renas. The Fluval was very hard to open & seal again (I threw it away, nobody wanted it for free). That may be in part because Renas were my first canisters. Many swear by Eheim but the flow rate is quite slow compared to others...Maybe not a problem in a smaller tank. I mostly keep fish that prefer more water turnover & higher flow rate.

Because nobody has said it, I will. I don't think a 29g cube is a forever home for 2 fancy goldfish. Not even for too very long...I'm sorry to have to say that. Are there other fish you might also like instead? We can help with better fish choices for your tank...or a better tank size for your goldfish before you invest in filters, etc. Ugh, sorry to be a buzz kill but I'm a realist & hope you are too.

Reactions: Rbishop

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
As far as I know, no filter considers media in flow rate. It would be impossible fo test all the various media combinations.
True, but that's why their stating a filter does "x" gph is so misleading....it's just the pumps gpa under ideal conditions as measured across the input output of the pump.

Reactions: dudley
Apr 2, 2002
New York
The only way ot is possible to compare filter flow rates that makes it possible to compare any two filters of any kind is to have them all state the rate when they are devoid of media. That is the only way to be comparing "apples to apples." it also make one's choice of media irrelevant. It is up to the filter owner to decid what media to use and to determine how much that is likely to lower the flow rate.

The there is the issue of how often one cleans their media or changes filter floss. Tou and I can have the same filter with the same dedia loading but I clean mine weekly and you clean yours every other week. My average flow rate will be better than your, all other thing being equal. And then there is different stocking, planting etc. that can effect the actual flow rate.

So, realistically, the only way to specify flow rates for comparative purposes is with no media in the filter.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
The advantage of a sump is the flow tends to be much more constant and not have this constant drift you see with canister filters as they get dirty. This is a side issue as the op does not intend to set up a sump but still....

As for the flow rate from canister - my eheim is down to a trickle and my fx6 is doing better after 4 years. Yes i clean the eheim and i probably should clean the hoses but i've been unhappy as complete cleaning (including propeller shaft and outlet in the top) really doesn't help much.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If it's a standard biocube,I would personally use the built in sump filter...

After my years and experiences, I decided that canister filters, for the most part, work pretty well. It's a question of what works best for you.

I mostly use Rena/API, recent Fluvals are good and much easier to prime than their older models, eheims are ok, but I really hate having to prime them... Anything from a recognized name should work well for you.

I imagine to use one you will have to either remove the lid or make holes for the hoses.. put the intake in a back compartment have the return in the main aquarium.

as for goldfish .. meh, adding a filter will take detritus from the water, it will not allow you to keep messuer fish unless you clean it often . Adding lots of plants either submersed or emersed will allow you to have more bioload.. but plants and goldfish do not always mux well

But the best of luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store