Canister Filter Comparison

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

astemerman

Registered Member
Oct 12, 2015
www.youtube.com
I have a 60Gallon tank and the tank stand has about 13" in height for space.
I have been looking at the Cascade 700 and the National Geographic CF70. Has anyone used both of these. They're the same price but can't find any real reviews on the CF70... What are your thoughts?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Those look like decent cansiters based on what's online. I wouldn't pay a premium for either when a tried and true Eheim classic can be had for $90-140 or a mail-order Sunsun 302 can be had for $45.

I got my Marineland C-360 for under $100 shipped to my door ~2yrs ago. A bargain for an excellent larger canister... Point being... keep an eye online for deals. Mail-order is your friend for all that is filtration.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Besides a dollar value consideration, especially at start up and budget concerns, what IMO will be the ultimate deciding factor on a canister you like, is the ease of maintenance. This is very subjective as everyone's definitions of easy is different, and no two people will have the same idea of judging performance other than clarity, since everyone is basing their conclusions on opinions.

Frequently any filter's issues don't come up for years. And, just as a vehicle can be a lemon to you, but not to the other million or so users. One person's statement that a filter is bad or even a few dozen vocal comments may not override the thousands of folks with the same filter that just don't post about it.

The NG is "made" by Eheim as a cheaper knock off of theirs. Bet it is with second hand parts. My personal thought is never to buy a knock off. Imitation is flattery, but usually doesn't live up to the reputation.

I have had Marineland Mag filters that lasted 30-32 years. When a knock off company shows me that reputation, I might believe their claims.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Bob, from what you've experienced, which canisters are not easy to maintain? The only models I've had at this point are the Marineland and Sunsun. They are basic to break down, clean and restart, but it's a lot more messy and labor intensive than squeezing out an AquaClear sponge or sponge bubbler.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great question FF. Once again, it is extremely subjective.

How much mechanical expertise does the owner have?
How is the canister physically connected?
Is it in a stand designed for easy access or crammed in?
Are the instructions clearly written?
Were the instructions ever used? LMAO
Does the owner really understand the flow path and construction?
Is the filter they have based solely on $s?
Did (do) they have a true knowledge of their and the tanks filtration needs?

I frankly do not consider canisters as messy at all. But I may judge "messy" on different grounds than others. I personally think "squeezing" out HOB filter pads as messy.

From my experience, folks get a bad opinion of a make of canister from problems they have with it, even if they caused the problem, then they switch to another and can be happy forever and swear by one and have an eternal dislike for another.

I am like Tanker.... solid Marineland canister hobbyist. But frequently buy others to experience and then get rid of them.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I frankly do not consider canisters as messy at all. But I may judge "messy" on different grounds than others. I personally think "squeezing" out HOB filter pads as messy.
Just curious how you clean canister (mechanical) media. For me, it's like squeezing out an AquaClear sponge x10, then there's seals to check/clean and possibly re-lube. Granted, it's not something you have to do every week or two..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't clean the canister mechanical media such as floss or pads. Just toss them and replace.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
The floss pads I throw out but I suppose you can clean them. The sponges in my FX5 I rinse by squeezing numerous time in water from the tank. You can tell when when are cleaned. I do that until the finally start to break down. But still in my opinion there is no better canister than a Eheim. Rheims are still running after 20 years.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Eheims and Marineland Canisters are work horses. I have 4 Mag 330/350s that are over thirty years old and I have never done anything except one/two O-ring replacements and two impeller swap outs. Some of the old Fluvals have similar track records, but their biggest downfall were the ribbed hoses.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've heard of some canisters still in operation for 25-30yrs, but that few of O-ring swap outs is simply amazing. You must not have to open them very often? I barely have any experience with canister filters, having only owned them for ~3yrs. I only open mine up every 3mo or so. I only keep sponge and bio media in mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store