Can I add more fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mchau

AC Members
Dec 29, 2019
Greetings forum members!

I am a new member all the way from Tanzania who just joined today and I can already tell how useful the forum is. I have a 60 Liters fresh water aquarium with a pair of orandas, black mollies and a single comet goldfish. I am thinking of finding a mate for my male comet. Is it okay to add one more?? Or I have already overstocked my aquarium?

Asante (meaning "thanks" in Swahili)

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome to the forum!!

Your tank is already too small for the fish that you have so I think you will need to decide which ones you want to keep.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I repeat what dudley has already said...Welcome, but you have too many large fish for your tank. All will be too grow big, if not now then very soon. I'm sorry. You need much smaller fish to keep them long term. I'd try to give them back or to a friend with a pond & go with fish that only reach an inch or so.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Mchau, just to add to the excelled advice given, ~15gal isn't enough for a single fancy goldfish all by themselves. I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, so my apologies.

A very old school recommendation for fancys (and this is bare minimum) is 20gal for one and an additional 10g for each additional fancy. To me this means you can do two in a standard 29g tank.

I've done a single commet and a few fancies in a 55gal, but it wasn't ideal at all. Commets need ponds. I'd also make a choice on if you want to keep tropical fish (mollies) or cold water fish like goldfish. Not both in the same tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store