can a common pleco go with african cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have seen many a pleco kept with cichlids and never seen the eye plucking issues, but have heard it repeatedly mentioned, by some very reliable folks.

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
hit and miss - I've seen a one-eyed bristlenose...that said he's still in with the africans, now doing fine for the past couple of years (friends tank, not mine).

nancie2k

AC Members
Jan 11, 2003
garden state
Visit site
i have a pleco with yellow labs, they are more afraid of him, hiding in their caves when grabbing bits to eat!! he is a bit bigger than 7 inches. i had moved him out of a red zebra tank, they were hasseling him too much. i have had him for many years

blasterman_

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
I've kept common Plecos in Mbuna tanks.....only because I had no other place to keep them after they got to big. To be honest, I'm not sure what the purpose of keeping hypostomus punctatus (common pleco) is......they aren't nearly as attractive as the rarer spotted types, they grow absurdly large, they don't scavange that well, etc. Different strokes I guess.

The specimen I had in the Mbuna tank was about 8", and even though well armored he took an absurd amount of abuse. The favorite rock he liked to hide out under was shared with a 6" Pindanni, and the Pindanni spent a good deal of effort trying to dislodge him. The African would grab the pectoral fins of the pleco and viciously try to yank him off the rock he was suckered to, and just relentlessly attack him. After the Pleco gave in and moved to a different rock the attacks stopped.

I guess if your African tank has enough diffused aggresion and plenty of spots for the Pleco to hide he'll do OK.

Should be no problem in a any South American tank. Even full grown Dempseys, Jewels and Green Terrors aren't a fraction as psycho as even a mild Mbuna tank.

DISCIPLE

AC Members
Mar 14, 2007
I have seen many a pleco kept with cichlids and never seen the eye plucking issues, but have heard it repeatedly mentioned, by some very reliable folks.
SAME HERE. I EVEN HAVE HIM IN THERE W/ KENYIS ARE THEY ARE VERY NASTY AT TIMES. SINCE DAY 1 THOUGH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. IF THEY REALLY GET ON HIS NERVES HE IS MORE THAN ABLE TO BACK THEM AWAY.

nancie2k

AC Members
Jan 11, 2003
garden state
Visit site
I have almost given mine away several times, he is so ugly he is fascinating :)
he hangs out on the glass by the heater or the filter tube during the day and moves around to eat- he will eat the floating food!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store