Calcium buildup removal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

uarujoey

AC Members
May 19, 2011
Oxalic acid. It is many times more powerful than the acids found in vinegar. It is also safe to use and commonly available. You will find it in a product called "Bar keepers friend".
You can use it to clean any aquarium equipment. From lids, to trim to filters. Of course it works amazing on glass as well. Oxalic acid is actually also found in many of the foods we eat.

CLR and others cleaning agents can be especially dangerous though and never something I would recommend. Only due to the fact that the ingredients in them are soluble. Meaning they can be diluted... and then absorbed into the silicone. Sort of like Copper based medicines. A tank treated with copper can never be used as a reef tank. While some people will "never have a problem"... When you end up with a tank full of dead fish, you will be wishing you didn't use harsh chemicals to clean the tank with.

Razors work great as well, and generally what I use. But when I need a really tough job done, its bar keepers friend that i use.

I did a video on it a while back if that helps explain a bit of this more. It is titled; "HOW TO: Restore an aquarium - remove water stains ". You will find it on youtube. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store