Breeding kribensis cichlids in a community tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
no with that much space they should be fine but that dosent mean that im right

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
I hope so too, especially with all the plants in there breaking up the lines of sight.

I'll keep everyone posted as the setup comes together. All my rainbows, congo's, the kribs, and loaches are in the 40g QT tank right now. I saw some ich on the clowns so the tank will be treated with salt when I get home.

Can't wait to see them all swimming through the plants and what not :D :D :D

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
yes i love watching my cichlid go in and out f flower pots and plants but my tank is some what 'empty' just less fish means less decor for me at least

FishMatchMaker

Registered Member
Jun 22, 2011
I know the posts are old, but I am kinda doing the same thing. Breeding two pairs of kribs in a 46 gal community tank. The only other fish in the tank will be cherry barbs, which two are flirting with each other:) Maybe I could get a spawn before I get the kribs. The cherry barbs are really only there so that the kribs dont use there aggression towards each other. I will probably add some sort of pleco eventually, but just gonna focus on breeding the kribs first.

biebman

AC Members
Jul 1, 2011
Kribs

Good to hear the Kribs stories!!! I have a planted 55 tank. Did my research and picked Kribs for their peaceful nature and compatibility with my plants. Got them home and was AMAZED at the vibrant color once they adapted to their new home. Very hardy fish, they seem to do well even when I'm lazy and let the water change go for 2 months (of course, live plants help clean the water).

I got a male and three females, pretty quick the male paired up and they spawned. I have plenty of shelter, driftwood, empty pots, and plants, so the two "old maids" seemed to do just fine when the parents got aggressive. They still spawn all the time, but I've only had one set of fry grow to full size. Now I have about 8 or 10 full grown kribs, plus a few zebra danios and a BN pleco.

thinking about adding something - maybe more zebras since some have died, but maybe rainbows; I also love the albino kribs!!! thinking about how cool it would be to have some albinos breed with the colored folks and see the results!!!

anyway, very great fish. they do tend to hide, even with food around is my only complaint. that's why i am hoping that getting some more danios might bring them out of hiding......... or maybe some kind of loaches or something to fill up some of the hiding spots would work better.

biebman

AC Members
Jul 1, 2011
BUMP - I have done a lot of research, and I'm considering the following additions:

-giant danio
-Brichardi
-Julie Marlieri
-keyhold cichlid

I'd be happy to hear any of your experiences. mostly worried about any of these being too aggressive with the kribs or tearing up my plants.......also worried about water quality with any.....i could guarantee monthly water changes, 2-3 weeks is about average...I also don't want to mess around with PH\GH... i figure it's way easier to just keep fish that like my water than it is to adapt my water tot the fish........ I think these are all fairly hardy and adaptive but please let me know!! :)

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Good lord! Just say no to the Tanganyikan's (Brichardi, any Julidochromis). Brichardi especially will take over the entire tank and eventually kill off all your other stock. Juli's aren't as bad, but with time will do the same. Both are colony breeders, and multiple generations will work as a team to drive off all other tank mates with time (the Brichardi are about 100 times worse).

On the other hand, the keyholes and giant danios will do fine. Personally, with kribs I really like a syndontis cats (in a 55 I'd do a featherfin or 6 or so upside down cats) and congo tetras (they're much more attractive than giant danios - especially when the congos are full grown - they're stunning).

As for monthly water changes...it's much, much, much better to do weekly changes.

Ivy Wingo

Registered Member
Mar 21, 2013
I have a really lovely pair of locally-bred kribensis in a planted community 90gal tank, and I would LOVE it if they would begin (or even try to begin) to breed!

They both look gorgeous, their finnage and body colors are striking, they're active, but they rarely acknowledge the existence of the other, let alone do any mating dances together.

The tank is fed a mixture of flake, granule, and frozen foods (cyclops, bloodworms, daphnia), and, upon doing some long-overdue upkeep this week, I can see that the kribensis are both doing very well, despite my recent neglect.....

So my question to the success stories on here would be: how can I make them flip the switch? Live foods? Temperature change (the tank stays a pretty constant 79-80)? Any pH or kH parameters that I could modify to induce breeding behavior in these super little fishes? Leave Al Green playing in the tank room for a week?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any information/testimonials you can provide. Cheers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store