Black knife fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

j.mclean

Registered Member
Apr 8, 2022
Hey so we got a bgk and the color faded alot over night and it dies the next day it was super heartbreaking we would like to try again but I can't handle the same thing happening what we plan to do differently this time is getting it some drift wood and turning the tank light off can anyone tell me what might have killed it the ammonia level was a little on the high side but we have treated the water since then he was also swimming around alot we thought it was just super happy but I'm thinking not so much since it died please help

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I'm sorry you lost your fish!

Can you provide more details on your aquarium please?
What size is your tank?
How did you cycle it or how long has it been set up?
Do you test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH and if so, please post the numbers or what type of test kit you are using?

j.mclean

Registered Member
Apr 8, 2022
It's a 50 gallon I haven't tested it recently it has been set up for about 4 years now it is naturally pretty hard water and low ph it had a little high ammonia when we got him but it has been corrected since we have 2 gourami a loach and a tetra in with him

j.mclean

Registered Member
Apr 8, 2022
It's a 50 gallon I haven't tested it recently it has been set up for about 4 years now it is naturally pretty hard water and low ph it had a little high ammonia when we got him but it has been corrected since we have 2 gourami a loach and a tetra in with him
55 gallon sorry

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
The Ghost Knife fish are very sensitive to water conditions and temps. Get all your aquarium numbers and post them here and also see if the LFS will provide the numbers for what they keep them at. Make sure that you get numbers for hardness levels as well.

If the numbers are way off, you may need to get RO equipment and a dedicated soft water tank to keep a ghost knife.

-TF

Reactions: j.mclean
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Let us start with the fact that this fish gets very bit and needs a big tank. This as much as 24 inches in length in the wild but less in a tank. and because it is not very flexible, it needs a tank clearly wider (front to back) than than the fish os long.

This fish is also tolerant of a range of conditions as it is found in the wild in a variety of parameters. " Range: South America: Venezuela to Paraguay and ParanÁ Rivers, also the Amazon Basin of Peru"

Next, this is a nocturnal fish and needs a place to hide during the day. Finally, this fish has a weak electrical sense. It is not dangerous in that respect but it uses this sense to navigate murky waters in the dark. It also allows it to detect it's prey. If there are other fish in the tank with the same ability this can cause issues. Also if there is any random electric current, or any interference for such, in the tank this too can cause problems.

If you have not read this before, I suggest you do so now:
https://badmanstropicalfish.com/black-ghost-knife-fish/

This fish should not be exposed to ammonia or nitrite for sure.

Reactions: mommy2girls!

bekzclz11

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2022
The black ghost knifefish is a tropical fish belonging to the ghost knifefish family. They originate in freshwater habitats in South America where they range from Venezuela to the Paraguay–Paraná River, including the Amazon Basin. They are popular in aquaria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store