aquaclear stopped working after unplug...am i missing something?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaVelva

AC Members
Sep 28, 2003
West Texas
Visit site
I have 2 AC300's running on a 75 gallon tank. Both were purchased 5+ years ago. One of them always restarts. The other one may or may not re-start after a power outage, or just after unplugging it or after cleaning it. I have never been able to figure out why one always restarts, but the other one doesn't. Once going, both work great.

I find this to only be a minor inconvenience. I still think that the AquaClear filters are the best filter out there for the money. AC 300's only cost about 20 bucks. I figure even if they ONLY run for 5 years they are a bargain! I had Penquins once (can't remember the model number) but they didn't come close to the AquaClears in reliability, flexibility, or filtering capacity!

...AV

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
for HOBs I dislike anything other than EMP 280 and 400 the earlyer models like the 330 with the wheels sucked IMHO
I'm sick of all of them.
Running most eveything on one 1/3hp air pump and sponge filters.With a few H.O.T. magnums floating around the room.

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Hi! I have an AC300 on my tank. Whenever I change the water, I just let it run. It makes a lot of noise, but at least it will prime itself once proper water level is established. You might try this. I haven't had to prime it at all!! Good luck!

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Hmmmmmmm........doesn't this sound familiar. I had the same problem I though I killed it. Crazy things :rolleyes:

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Most impellers are drivin by a magnet. If the insides of the slot you stick the magnet into (its on the other end of the impeller) gets coverd with algae or some other stuff, when it stops spinning (the centripital force keeps it spinning when it gets dirty) it wont respin until both the magnet and the slot are cleaned well.

Reactions: Fishmama55

Fishmama55

Registered Member
Jan 2, 2023
we are full of water impeller wont turn.
BTW the cure is to pull the intake tube and dont unplug it. This also allows you to change more than a few inches of water.
Smart idea 🤦🏻‍♀️ my fish are being medicated so I’ve had to daily partial water changes and every time I unplug my filter I’ve got to pull the impeller out clean it. When that doesn’t work I have to slap it a few times upside down 😩😩

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Aquaclear (= AC = Fluval Aquaclear and former Hagen Aquaclear) are in my opinion some of the best HOB filters out there. I have quite a few of them running of different sizes, most 50 (=200) and 110 (=500). All my tanks have at least two AC filters (larger thanks have also an FX6 each). I purposely turn off filters in all tanks during feeding (all connected to on/off switches), and also during weekly water changes, so re-starting them is a frequent routine. I consider this a good practice (but to each its own), but also one that ensures that when filters stop due to a power failure, it has never been a long time since they were re-started so I know what to expect.
As mentioned by others, my experience is also that if they don't start after turning them off, cleaning the impeller and impeller well solves the problem, and of course the stick trick as needed. However, for me it is also true that a few individual filters never fail to start, whereas a few do it more often.
However,

"AC 300's only cost about 20 bucks." - That needs to be updated. AC 300 (= current AC 70) is ~ $ 45-60 (cheapest I have seen).

"Whenever I change the water, I just let it run" - I change much more volume than that, and also remove the tubes, prefilters, and sponges weekly.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I love ACs but the biggest problem with them is they don't always restart after power off or cleaning. If I don't want to commit to a full filter cleaning I try to keep it going by smaller water changes & just a prefilter sponge rinse. That doesn't always work...& I may have to go all out with impeller, sponges & prefilter cleaning...that usually happens when I don't have time to go whole hog. It can help if your AC is tilted slightly toward the tank...

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
This is a 20yr/old thread, but the concepts haven't changed best I can tell. The most reliable and quietest of the aquaclears I've owned is their big boy. The 110. I've had mine going for 10yrs. It never rattles, always starts itself, etc. I can't say that with the AC 30's and 70's I've owned.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have 20+ year old ACs... My largest are AC 70s; I prefer 2 70s (or 2 of any kinds of filters over 1 of any kind of filter on tanks 20+ gallons). My AC lids do rattle as the media clogs & the "basket" rises...that's what extra rocks are for ;)

& to FJB I say maybe you just need a longer intake for big water changes, lol. Lack of thorough tube cleanining is my worst habit. Most are beyond a casual brush & rinse. I think the plastic maybe a bit etched after all these years, bleaching only does so much & is a PITA

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store