Aquaclear 70 sudden shutoff?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
There are many variables involved in this thread as far as what lasts how long. I still have 18 ACs from a 20 to a 110 running. Some bought new and some used. At my peak it was closer to 30. I have never had to replace a shaft and I have several ACs running for 15 to 20 years.

I have had some drain when the power went out but many more which have not. I am not sure but I think it depends how much above the tank water line the water line in the AC is combined with how deep you gave the intake. I use 1 to 3 Extension tubes on my ACs.

There is no need to have a complete filter for backup. The plastic parts rarely need to be replaced. What does would be in order of likely breaking: intake U-tube, impeller, shaft, motor. I am always on the lookout for sales. A while back I grabbed two Aquaclear 20, 30,50, 70 motors on sale. I have all of those models and they all use the same motor and shaft. Basically, the shaft, impeller and motor for the 110 are different. Of course the boxes, baskets and lids are too but the Extension and U-tubes are the same for the 110 and 70. Many of the U and uplift tubes are the same for a few models.

I cannot be any more enthusiastic for my endorsement of AC filters. They are simple in their design which means there is less to break or to go wrong. They last for a very long time. I only threw away one box which I cracked. The most likely piece to get damaged is the intake U-tube. These may chip or crack just above the impeller. Sometimes the filter will still work fine this way and sometimes you may need to replace the U-tube.

I have to confess, I run all my ACs with two foam blocks and a piece of floss between them. I have swapped out some of the AC sponges for Poret foam in the past 8+ years. When Hagen began including their bio-media with the filter and raised the price as a result, I either threw out that media or gave it away.

My biggest complaint re ACs is they have had the thickness of the plastic parts has been reduced since I began using them. But this has been the case with most brands of equipment we use. There was a trend for the independent manufacturers to be bought out by conglomerates which have pet divisions. One of the first things that happens after that is the conglomerate looks for ways to make a bigger profit on the products. One easy step is to use less material to make them. Just making the plastic thinner by 20% makes a lot of new profit.

Bear in mind there are different ways to do this. One is to change the design. You can hide some changes inside this as well as come up with a reason such changes are an improvement that deserve a higher price tag. Sometimes the improvement is real and sometimes it may not be.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
The reduction in thickness may explain some of the noise issues. I have an Aquaclear 70 and an Aquaclear 300 (before they rebranded to the 70), and I think the 300 is quieter.

I would LOVE to find the older AquaClear filters from the 80s that were were a smoky brown color instead of the current smoky grey.

I have a Craigslist search set up for the word AquaClear.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I forgot to mention an answer to the silicone Q. Look for Eheim silicone spray. You know they won't make things bad for fish or equipment. It may be harder to find these days due to Covid I see it out of stock in many places. I got my can a while back.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I see you both know & use silicone lube more than I ever have. The only time I find mine is when I'm looking for something else not necessarily filter or fish related.

I almost always look closely at the shaft when cleaning but I've never seen pitting like your pic (I know it wasn't your pic). But that does make me think it's a harder water issue. Both 2tank & I have pretty soft water these days (2tank always, me the last 20 years)

Spare parts can be very nice. I have some ACs in the garage for parts or replacement. apastuszak, do live live near a club with auctions? Might be an option...after covid?

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
There is a club near me. I don't know if they're meeting right now. I should check out their web site.

I live in the Philadelphia suburbs. My pH is 7.0 and my GH is around 120. KH is almost non-existent.

I think the wear and tear on the Aquaclear Impeller shaft is far more severe on the 110 than it is on the rest of the line.

I looked at used prices on AquaClear filters today on Craigslist, Offerup and eBay. A lot of people want just as much for a used filter as a new one costs on Amazon.

A new Aquaclear 70 costs $55 at Petco, and $54 on Amazon. Used ones were going for $70.

I think if you wanted an AquaClear spare parts list, it's pretty easy to build one.

1. All the Aquaclears except the 110 all use the same motor and magnet. As you go up the line, the number of blades changes. So, you can buy an AquaClear 20 fro $30.00 on Amazon and get a motor and a magnet. The impeller blades just pull off. You also get intake tubes that will work on a 20/30/50. Then you just need some tubes for an AC 70 that will also work with a 110.

Another good reason to stick with the Aquaclear line. So much stuff is interchangeable.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
There is a club near me. I don't know if they're meeting right now. I should check out their web site.
They are meeting on the 6th virtually via YouTubeb(I think about tissue culturing planrs) and potentually in person and virtually on Feb 3 depending but the decision has yet to be made.

I don't know how up to date the web page is, I want to say Facebook is normally the first to be updated.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
They are meeting on the 6th virtually via YouTubeb(I think about tissue culturing planrs) and potentually in person and virtually on Feb 3 depending but the decision has yet to be made.

I don't know how up to date the web page is, I want to say Facebook is normally the first to be updated.
Thanks D dougall

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yell if you want any more info. I will post the meeting information once it is available

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store