Aqua Clear 2000 filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I just got my $20 Craigslist score, a "40" gallon tank with cover and filter and seperate small flourescent light fixture.

It is a tall style tank and has an Aqua Clear 2000 filter on it. It looks like a pretty large filter but I can't find much info when I google it. Anyone know anything about this filter? Is it still made. It has sponges in it currently.

It was formerly a saltwater set up and has not been set up for years.. Anything special to know about cleaning it for freshwater use?

I'm thinking angel fish.....

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Vinegar and good rinsing should do the trick. That sounds perfect for an angel tank!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
AquaClear made a 200, not a 2000. Today it is known as an AC50 Vendor rated for 20-50 gallons. (AC=AquaClear). AC filters regardless of size are very good filters. Parts are easily available so you can rebuild or repair instead of replacing it. IMO an AC50 on a 40 is too small unless you have a lightly stocked tank.

Millenium makes a 2000 also a good filter rated for 10-40 gallons.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
While searching, I found someone mentioning a AC 2000 HOB that they had that had been discontinued. Now he mentions having one. I'd like to see a picture of it and see if it indeed says AquaClear 2000.
Looks like you might be right about that. I think it was replaced by the 500/110 from what I can find.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sounds like you got a great deal, even if you end up getting another filter. Don't worry about it being previously saltwater...easy to clean it up.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
Thanks guys. I'll gry to get a pic up soon.

Yes, I know i got a good deal! I wanted to make a tiget barb tank but being a tall, I don't think they would be as happy in there so I'm having to rethink. I look at it and I think angels!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Tiger barbs use the entire tank not just a portion. Well at least mine do! I have them in a 20H and they are all over the tank.

No matter what you choose, good luck and yes, it was a great find.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store