Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chad

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Visit site
Hi all! I plan on putting Red-eye tetras and Platy's in my 29g tank (along with Oto's and algea eating shrimp). If I added a few small Angels, would there be any problems with either the Angels picking on the other fish or the others picking at the Angels? I've heard that Neon's are basically lunch for Angels but these Red Eyes are bigger than Neon's.
Thanks!
Chad

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There's no gaurantee that the angels won't eat their tankmates unless they physically can't fit the fish in their mouth. The adult size of the red-eye's should prevent the angels from snacking on them, but it's not a sure thing. The angels will eat any platy fry they can find, but that's probably not a big deal.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I have my angel in with red eyed tetras and plaies with no problems. The red eye are big enough to not be eaten. If you plan on breedignthe platies then it might not be such a good idea since i have only ever seen one fry survive in my tank.

I would be more worried about the algae shrimp. I added 10ghost shrimp to my tank once and they were all eaten before they hit the gravel.Pretty expensive snack if i would have went for hte amano shrimp like i wanted too.

Since your tank is only 29gal i would only add one angel if you decide to get some. They get really quite large(+6") and when older can be aggresive towards their own species. And if you do a couple and 2 form a pair, Watch out:eek: They are cichlids remember.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I agree, amano shrimp and angels don't mix.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store