Angelfish Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have a 10 gallon tank with Angel fry. There was 400 in there but now I have about 150, many fish have died. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I know I am doing the water correcxtly. I started with two days of fresh water and hydrogen Peroxide. 10 drops per gallon. Then I changed to aged water and DeChlor. My water tests fine Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, Hardnes hard alkline 160 and my PH is 7.6. I checked my house water for PH and that is also 7.6. I am at the point where I change the water every other day. Last night I lost 66 of the fry. What am I doing wrong. Thanks

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Are you sure about cleanliness of tank and filter? Are you aireoating (bubbling) your fish? What are you feeding and what is your temp.?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Why hydrogen Peroxide. 10 drops per gallon??

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
I missed the peroxide info..I am able to let wigglers fight and tumble free,but I thought you stopped using peroxide as soon as eggs hatch. Also, isn't this amount pretty high?

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Look on the internet and you will see its 10 drops per gallon. I only uise the peroxide for 48 hours, then I use aged water and DeChlor

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Like I said, Bonnie..I'm ignorant about the peroxide,..no attack intended. Your ph is similar to mine,..are you feeding fresh live brineshrimp? And may I ask what sort (color/phenotype) angelfish you have? I've talked to people in California having bad time keeping blues alive. I hope you will let us help you sort it out.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I am feeding live baby Brine shrimp twice a day. and I clean up the left overs with in an hour. I have about 6 different varities of Angel fish. The new ones (Fry) are Platinum with a blue strain. I though I may have a amonia problem but I checked and it was not real high, and I fixed that. Some fish die every day.
I realize you were not attacking me, you just haven't read anything about H202. In my experience I find it so much better that Meth Blue.
I appreciate your hrlp, I can't solve the problem myself. Thanks

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I though I may have a amonia problem but I checked and it was not real high, and I fixed that.
I am concerned about this. "Not Real High"?? Even a little is no good. Are you running any BIO filter. A small sponge filter may do.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
H2O2 as well as Meth blue are oxidizers.. the help combat bacteria and are generally used on eggs.
die off can occur depending on water quality.. if you suspect bacteria as a problem you may want to add a UV sterilizer instead of H2O2 or meth blue..
How are you aging the water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store