Ammonia spike

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shill87

Registered Member
Jul 9, 2016
We have a 38 gallon bowfront tank. It is fully cycled and stocked with:
2 dwarf gouramis, 4 golden barbs, 2 Cory cats, a bristlenose pleco, and 3 angelfish. I know we are on the side of being overstocker but according to aqadvisor it's at 118% so still within safe zone with water changes. we got the angelfish about 2 weeks ago and now two of them are swiming at an angle or sideways. The only thing we did over the past few days was add more plants and start using some sinking pellets for the cats. Automatically we did a 50% water change and tested our water and saw a spike in the ammonia . So I'm guessing this is what is causing the angels to swim this way but my question is what caused the spike... nothing has died (yet) and we do a 25% water change every 1-2 weeks. I know ammonia is due to waste product either by feces or in eaten food but we clean regularly as for the sinking pellets we only put 2 in at a time. The flakes we give are usually eaten before giving more. When we do our water changes we vacuum the gravel. So I'm just baffled. This is our first "big" tank and we just started doing the whole aquarium hobbies thing in February but started with a 5.5 gallon with a betta and some tetras after keeping everything alive for 2 months we wanted to go bigger and did so in May. We really enjoy our new hobby. And love our fish. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Liquid test kit?

I'd up those water changes to 50-70% a week, routinely. And those new fish could have issues, and it appears you never QT'd them, just added them to your tank.

Shill87

Registered Member
Jul 9, 2016
Liquid test kit?

I'd up those water changes to 50-70% a week, routinely. And those new fish could have issues, and it appears you never QT'd them, just added them to your tank.
What size tank do you recommend for quarantine? We have thought about getting a 10 gallon for the betta and tetras and using the 5.5 for quarantine. And how long do you quarantine for?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I usually QT for 4-6 weeks....I prefer 20 gal longs, but usually have quite a few fish, needing that size.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I do like Bob does for QT...Not optional, it's mandatory for me.

3 angels WILL cause trouble in a smallish tank like yours when they get to breeding age/size...unless all the same sex & that's iffy. & gouramis are not the best tankmates for angels either. You need to rethink your long term stocking, sorry.

Shill87

Registered Member
Jul 9, 2016
Well the angels and pleco died while my boyfriend was at work :( so we are just going to try to fix the problems we have now and just keep the gouramis cats and barbs... possibly just start over if everything dies... he kind of had new tank syndrome (although the angels were added when everything was at the right levels) whereas I wanted to wait longer... he agreed to wait now since they all died. We are still going to talk to our LFS to see what else could have spiked the ammonia after only adding plants.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm so sorry for your losses. Ammonia can be from overstocking or over feeding. Big breath & go slower & more mindfully in future. Live & learn, we've all done it.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Can we get a reading on all your parameters? PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites?

How big were the angels? Did you test your "New" water to see if that is where your ammonia may be coming from?

Reactions: fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store