Amano death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
So I was thinking. I never see my shrimp eating anything I put in the tank be it wafers or pellets, maybe some flake that hits the ground. They are always grazing the plants and driftwood.

so it may be better to add to do hardness.
I have mgso4 (epsom salt) I can get Caso4

I am terrible at the calculator. I want to target 8-10 degrees gh im at 5.
I don’t want to use equillbrium bc it has a ton of potassium and I’m already dosing double in my PPS due to not dosing kno3, and it’s all mixed in a solution.

anyone want to help out? I prefer a once a week after a water change dose.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think they use the hardness in the water, it being there just prevents what they do have dissolving.

Like I said, my advice is to have food containing calcium.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I’m trying food also, bought hikari crab cuisine, but as I stated I have never seen any of them go after food.
hardness has to play a role otherwise you could have shrimp in any type of water. I believe there is a type that likes soft water. Think it’s the crystals.

these shrimp were expensive so I’d like to try everything possible.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How many amano shrimp do you have in this setup?

The only shrimp I've kept were RCS and ghost and they'd eat so actively they'd grab flake food right out of the water column.

I've never tried to alter my water from what ever comes out of the tap other than treating it with prime or safe.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
How many amano shrimp do you have in this setup?

The only shrimp I've kept were RCS and ghost and they'd eat so actively they'd grab flake food right out of the water column.

I've never tried to alter my water from what ever comes out of the tap other than treating it with prime or safe.
Well there were 5 now there is 1. I want to purchase more but not till I get this figured out.

even the cherries just graze the driftwood and plants. So far no deaths.

all I’m asking is for help with the calculator.
I follow the recipe given on GLA but when I type the amounts in for say mg it shows my dose is lower then PPS. So I’m assuming it’s showing a daily dose ppm and the scale is showing a weekly amount?

All I want to know is how much mg and how much calcium sulfate is needed daily or weekly to raise the gh a couple of degrees.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Ok IF I did this correctly adding
6.6 g of caso4
And 5 g of mgso4
To 500 ml and pouring the entire bottle in weekly should increase my gh by 2.17

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Well the last one molted. Just saw his exoskeleton hanging in the bacopa.
I added what I thought was correct amounts and it did indeed raise 2 degrees to 7 so hopefully he survives. Molting seems to be the common denominator.

Reactions: Sprinkle

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Lol it’s not a molt it’s a leaf probably from the bottom of a plant

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Calcium and magnesium in the water enter the body of a shrimp via three main sources: A) consumption of food , B) via absorption directly from the water, mainly through the gills and digestive tract but also through other soft tissues during osmoregulation, and C) direct absorption from the exoskeleton to be shed immediately prior to molting. The second pathway is extremely important during molting, as it provides a supplemental source to calcium being used to harden the exoskeleton at a time when the shrimp cannot eat. This absorption of minerals through soft tissues is also why shrimp are so vulnerable to poisoning via metals such as selenium, lead, copper, zinc, mercury, cadmium, etc. Osmoregulation will result in the concentration of a particular mineral in tissue reaching an equilibrium with the concentration of that mineral in the water the shrimp is living in. In the case of selenium, for example, once the selenium reaches a certain concentration it interferes with the production of DNA and proteins (both functional proteins such as enzymes and structural proteins such as tendons and muscles) by substituting itself for sulfur in the synthesis of the DNA and said proteins. The same effect happens in fish as well, but invertebrates tend to be affected at much lower concentrations that lead to a rapid death, rather than being tolerant of and subject to a higher, long-term accumulation that may cause deformities in offspring or problems with healing in vertebrates.

So, like dougall said, changing up and providing a high calcium food is probably the easiest and best way to supplement the calcium intake for the shrimp, especially since maintaining constantly adjusted water parameters can be difficult. I never thought of it cuz I've never had to deal with the problem. But as I was thinking about it, I realized there was a very specific reason why hardness was important, due to osmoregulation and crustacean physiology. So don't underestimate the issues soft water can give you. If you can raise the hardness and maintain it easily, I think it would go a long way to helping your shrimps' survival rate during molting.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle and IceH2O
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store