Am I "over-chemicaling" my water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Max Thomas

AC Members
Jul 23, 2017
I have three goldfish in a forty gallon tank (Black Moore almost two years old, red cap oranda half a year old and a new Ryukin a few months old) and I'm afraid I may be putting too many chemicals in the water.

I have Well water so I have no concern for chlorine, but I do get heavy metals. I use the following every weekly water change:

-API Quick start
-API Stress-Zyme
-API Stress-coat
-a little bit of aquarium salt

The water is still cloudy as well even after a very thorough cleaning. A friend recommended water clearafier (she has six golds in a forty gallon breeder and the water is clean as a whistle!) I also have a fifty gallon filter attached to the tank if that helps.

I'm afraid if I start adding water clearafier it would just over-chemicalize the water. My fish sometimes act irritated or sick but I can't find any physical signs of illness like ick, dropsy or swim blades disease! Am I adding too many chemicals? Are there some I don't need? Is there something I'm missing? Would you recommend another product? I've kept a common goldfish for eight years but when I switched to fancies after he died I've been riddled with bad luck! (I lost a Shubunkin and a panda moor both a year old or less! I spent hundreds on trying to cure whatever was wrong!)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What is your exact filtration and a list of all media in it? Have you checked the local authorities to see what is typical in the groundwater for your area?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would just stay with the WC to clear the water. How big are your WC and how often? Are you doing a gravel vac? Are you feeding too much?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Max, I'd probably just use the product that "detoxifies" heavy-metals. I don't know off hand which, if any of those API products do that, but I believe Seachem Prime or Safe does this.

Do you have a read in PPM for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for your tank water?

Max Thomas

AC Members
Jul 23, 2017
What is your exact filtration and a list of all media in it? Have you checked the local authorities to see what is typical in the groundwater for your area?
I have an AquaClear 50 filter. Inside is a sponge, a bag of carbon and finally bio-material at the top. And they say typical groundwater is just metal and bacteria filtered through from the rainwater. I mean the water's safe enough for people to drink.

Max Thomas

AC Members
Jul 23, 2017
I would just stay with the WC to clear the water. How big are your WC and how often? Are you doing a gravel vac? Are you feeding too much?
I didn't know water clarifier also got rid of of hard metals, Amonia and stuff like that. I also have no substrate but I do use a siphon during water changes. I feed them once a day and it's only a small amount- I soak it for a few seconds before giving it to them. I also substitute their diet with shelled peas and spinach.

Max Thomas

AC Members
Jul 23, 2017
Max, I'd probably just use the product that "detoxifies" heavy-metals. I don't know off hand which, if any of those API products do that, but I believe Seachem Prime or Safe does this.

Do you have a read in PPM for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for your tank water?
I don't have any way to test the water but I did order a new test kit and it should be here soon! I looked at Seachem Prime and it seems perfect! I ordered a bottle of it. I hope to try it out this weekend when I do the water change.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
For me, an AC50 on a 40 gal tank with three fancies is way under filtered.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What type of filter would you suggest?
I would recommend adding an Aquaclear 70 along with your 50 if you want another hang on back style. You could add an Aquaclear 110 even. I run a 110 and a big sponge bubbler filter on my goldfish 55g that has two fancies and a comet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store