Algae eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidfirsttimer

AC Members
Dec 28, 2016
Curious what you are using for an algae eater if anything? Some stores say plecos and some say snails. And the same stores say oh don't get a snail...cichlids will eat them or visa versa.

Anyone had any luck adding either of these types? I read that corydoras will most likely be eaten by cichlids. I guess maybe I just need to get scrubbing the sides of the aquarium myself, which isn't a problem really.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
With most Africans unless you have a very large pleco, its going to get picked at. Scrubbing is my preferrer option.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Curious what you are using for an algae eater if anything? Some stores say plecos and some say snails. And the same stores say oh don't get a snail...cichlids will eat them or visa versa.

Anyone had any luck adding either of these types? I read that corydoras will most likely be eaten by cichlids. I guess maybe I just need to get scrubbing the sides of the aquarium myself, which isn't a problem really.
African Cichlids are omnivores and will eat the algae themselves. Try starving them for a few days and you will see them turn to grazing on algae instead. If want a good algae-eating catfish that has decent armor a Bristlenose or Clown Pleco will do a good job. On the other note, cichlids will definitely eat snails so that would not be very helpful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store