African Dwarf Frog strange issue I haven't seen before.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gavinb612

Registered Member
Nov 22, 2018
Over the weekend, my mom decided to get two african dwarf frogs for her 5 gallon tank that has 3 Neon Tetras and 1 betta, as I know a lot more about aquariums and ect she has me take care of it for her. Anyway, they were doing great for 3 days until this morning, 1 died. It seemed out of nowhere almost, it was eating just fine, moving around, and going up to get air when it normally would, and then sudddenly, he's floating lifeless and slightly bloated. I understand the bloating issue is something that just happens when you buy these guys, as a lot of pet stores get frogs in that already have it, but what happened after is what was weird for me. The second frog was fine earlier as well, 3 hours pass after the last one's death and he's struggling to swim up for air, so I take a closer look and his back right leg is insanely swelled up and has some sort of fungus on it, which seems to have grown insanely fast as it's got very long fibers.

Does anyone know what the heck this is? I'm aware of red leg and bloating, and it doesn't seem to be either of these. I believe the other one is dead because of the same issue. Currently, he's still alive and quarantined as i don't want my mom's fish to possibly be in danger and the small container I have him in, he can reach for air easier. I added some anti ick stuff/water conditioner and i'll update this if it helps anything. Thanks.

Pictures:
IMG_5133.jpg IMG_5134.jpg IMG_5135.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Water conditioner is ok, though better to treat it elsewhere and then add. The ich stuff will NOT help and may further stress the frog. Frogs aren't great in community setups, as their skin is very permeable. They are MUCH more sensitive to water quality issues, and a small tank with 3 fish in it likely just not stable enough for them.

Entirely speculative, but I'd guess they had minor scrapes from being caught, and the stress plus water quality changes were enough to allow a fungus to get in to those injuries.

Can't recommend treatment, since I'm not a vet in any way...I'd go with clean water, light feeding, and make sure the tank is warm enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store