Advice Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

65gal

Registered Member
Dec 10, 2002
Visit site
Advicec Please :0)

I just ordered a 65 gallon tank and can't decide if I want to do salt water or freshwater. My son has a 10 gallon in his room and of course my husband and I do all of the upkeep as he is to young. I would love to do saltwater but my husband says freshwater is what he wants? Are there really pretty fish like there are for saltwater?

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
Since this is in the newbie forum I suggest you do a freshwater tank. With a 65 gallon there are lots of nice freshwater fish you can try and get your feet wet with before you try your hand at marine. :)

Sure there are lots of pretty freshwater fish, theres killifish, bettas, rainbows, and lots more.

DrDeath

AC Members
Apr 30, 2002
New York
Visit site
I started my first freshwater tank about a year ago. With the struggles I have had this past year with my tank, I am afraid to try a marine setup! Just kidding - but I'm still not ready :)

Start with fresh, there are beautiful fish available, just research everything first. It's tempting to go to the store and just start buying so you can stock the tank. When you are done you have a hodge-podge mess that you may end up wanting to change.

Does this sound like I did this???? HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

DrD

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
i'd recommend cichlids. there are a lot that are readily available, inexpensive, very colorful, and fun to keep. i have some african cichlids such as kennyi and yellow labidichromis. they are interesting and fairly easy to keep. good luck

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
I'd definitely go FW. I always recommend Gold Fish -- easy to keep, relatively hardy, striking colors, lots of activity in the tank, easy to feed, don't have to worry about water temperature. If the image of gold fish to you is what you saw in little cups that are given away as prizes at state fairs, well look at what you can get in your standard fantail varieties.

Val

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store