A Nearly Closed Clownfish Ecosystem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
The snails should be fine, but IDK for sure. I wish you luck though!

MasterOfReason

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
I still want to add those snails later this week but I hopped on to happily report the cerinth snail whose fate was unknown at the time of my last update is alive and apparently happy and doing well. I saw him moving around on top of the live rock tonight.

How tough are macro algae? Is it way too early? I was looking through the classifieds on here tonight and saw some very cool things. I suppose I'm off to research.

MasterOfReason

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
My girlfriend has returned from her parents with my digital camera and I finally have some pictures to share. Keep in mind this is a new tank and will still look really empty and boring to those of you with well established well stocked tanks.

MasterOfReason

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
well today I added some more snails 5 Nerites 4 cerinths and an Astrea as I had wanted. I also bought and added a red mushroom it seems I always get one thing I don't intend.

In any case its much more exciting than snails. And I was hard pressed to lay out nearly 20$ for just snails.

Before the lecture on lighting and calcium comes I had the LFS test my water and I had 400 PPM calcium and we agreed I probably had more light than the tank it came out of.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
what kind of lights do you have? t5s work (or so others say, I have no idea from experience) and you will probably want to dose calcium eventually, but IDK, never kept any kinds of corals. As for your tank looking empty, everyones tank looked empty when it started, yours is no different there. BTW, telling us about a mushroom is no fair without picks :)

MasterOfReason

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
well the mushroom has seemingly closed up..... don't know if its because the light was off or what... it maybe dying I'm going to do some research and water tests to see if I can figure out why....

Well water parameters are fine... all research says red mushrooms are extremely hardy.... realized its Monday so called the LFS .... she said it is supposed to close up at night when the light is turned off... so... I guess you just miss too much when your never home.... and its probably not dying.

As for the lights I have one 15 watt 10k

Last edited:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Re-read, 20k lighting.

20k's are for corals that live in deeper water. IDK if the shrum is one of those corals (not an expert, wish someone better could show up) but if it isn't the 20k will be completely worthless to the coral. 10k lights are for shallow water corals, and aren't any good with deeper water corals. I bet if you got some 10ks as well you would see some improvement. Good luck!

MasterOfReason

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
Well the mushroom is doing much better all hair algae has been removed from the glass by the snails and the what hair algae remains on the live rock actually looks good and intentional. All of these things came about in the presence of true neglect. I am opening a new bar and working 16 to 20 hour days 7 days a week. because of this neglect my water levels fell by about 2.5 gallons and my peppermint shrimp is now missing. (Probably died and was eaten in no particular order) by the hermit crab which seems much larger.

So I added water today. will have to replace my shrimp and seriously miss my fish tank!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
pics?

MasterOfReason

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
Well I went away for a while and am back the original 30 gallon tank is actually doing quite well a shame I will have to tear it all down... hopefully I will be able to save the denizens and transfer them to the new tank. I started out on a very ambitious project to create a nearly self sustained homeostatic Caribbean biotope... and the world (especially experienced fish keepers laughed) So I went away I kept reading kept researching kept experimenting with the original tank (using scientific method with all results recorded) and I am still not dissuaded, in fact in my research and carefully sought out contacts I have seen many things that lead me to believe that with enough thought what I want is in fact very possible. I have encountered many aquarist that have stabilized one component or another of the system. I simply hope to combine the procedures of many people smarter than myself.

With all of that being said, I am re-opening this thread, I am doing so because, well it's time, for one thing I am much better prepared to be laughed at, I am much more well read, for instance I know Clown fish are not indigenous to the Caribbean, a tiny bit more experienced, and there were a few people here that did truly help me when I was very confused in the beginning.

So for the benefit of everyone reading lets just skip to whether or not what I want is impossible and build to get as close as possible. To begin with one of the great problems was water volume. Nothing even approaching self sustaining could be done in 30 gallons at least not with a fish (still don't have one, though I have several healthy inverts). To solve this I have built a custom cabinet that is 56" long 20" wide and 40" tall (this is the size of one wall I had). Then I ordered a custom tank that is 56x20x36 to set on top of it..... that will be 175 gallons then I will use the 30 gallon as a sump and a 10 gallon (kind of sad about that may eventually go bigger) for a refugium.

Work calls will finish later...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store