A day in the life of your LFS- discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bextraordinary

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
East Lansing, MI
Ahhhh... [[knuckle-crack]] I quit my LFS job a year ago to start working in my career field post-graduation, and as of Monday, I'll be working there once again! I just can't stay away. I enjoy my field (criminology), but there's something so fulfilling about working my butt off for 8-9 hours at Preuss and then crawling home exhausted but satisfied.

I just.. love to teach. I love to share my knowledge. When I was hired there, I didn't know jack about fish - I won a goldfish at a fair once and it died the next day. I thought fish were boring, especially compared to the reptiles and massive jungle parrots. Boy, did I learn fast, and I learned well. I read everything I could put my hands on, I asked questions, and as I learned, I helped customers learn with me.

I'm SO excited to be going back. I can't wait to go into work after a shipment and see what sorta goodies we got in, and to talk 'shop' with my fishroom coworkers. Ahhh.. it's hard work, but it's fun work! :)

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
i would ahve to say good article i would have to say also the person who comes in to open a package an then order online needs a slap

reading this does not deter me from watning to breed fish for the saskatchewan fish keeper as im not really doing a lfs but a fish breedery

i would have to say kudos to the lfs owner they would make a hella chef

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Bextraordinary,I couldnt agree more, its like Christmas morning several times a week.

Last edited:

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
That was a riveting read. I always appreciate a chance to experience something through another's eyes. Now if only I could find a reliable LFS.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
HAHAHA!WOW!!! What a day!

The one LFS I hang out at quite a bit, provides me with tons of help and info. They also give me an adjusted price so that I can afford to buy from them. By the same token, I provide them with most of my fry (including the ever-present guppy broods). When I run across a sale that they can't meet they tell me so and don't get upset that I get it elsewhere. But anytime I want a fish no one else has they are the only ones I ask to order for me, even if I have to pay extra.

Last edited:

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
blarg, fish seller hasn't been on since 2005, it seems that part two isn't going to happen :(

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
Ah, the joyous rewards of self employment...

Don't confuse the issues. Pets are cool...it's retail that sucks. Melding the two to make a living is at best a great way to buy yourself a very stressful job that will make you kill yourself if you ever stop to calculate how much you don't make per hour.

My wife wanted to open a pet store when we 1st met, back during the Cretaceous period I believe it was. Being properly trained as a youth by an overbearing control freak of a mother, I nodded my head and willfully supported her designs. Immediately I set about doing whatever I could to facilitate her dream, in spite of the fact that I was already running a large demolition company and she was working part time at the local Dr. Pet.

i attempted to encourage her to develop a business plan, research the market, etc. to no avail. She was convinced that because she loved all critters more than any one alive, she was assured success just by hanging her shingle and unlocking the door, you know...the Home Depot mentality.

To her infinite credit I must say that she has an amazing empathy that animals seem to naturally respond to. I have witnessed her handling Siberian hamsters that had previously attempted deboning yours truly with their front teeth (don't laugh, they are vicious little beggars...haven't you ever seen Monty Python's Holy Grail? Well hamsters are related to bunnies!).

We were given a diabetic African Grey Parrot that required insulin shots daily. The bird was maniacal. He could sense my presence and would hide above the doorway to my family room. Upon my entering he would drop down on my head and attempt to remove a skull plate with his rather imposing beak. When tired of imitating a raptor he would flutter to my wife's lap and actually lay on his back for her to stroke. (you know in hind site, ...I'm thinkin'...maybe this wasn't necessarily all the bird's doing...?)

While I visited properties and negotiated leases and advertising rates, she began buying and breeding future store stock. Since she was able to hand tame anything this side of a rabid badger she decided that we would not only sell every kind of earthly creature imaginable, we would also raise them ourselves.

At one time, I had, in my beautiful 4 bedroom house that I had lovingly designed and built with my own two hands...the following:
- Racking for mouse, hamster, gerbil and rat tanks...150 in all, fully stocked. Inside of six months she was selling to half of our future competitors.

- 36 breeding pairs of Guinea Pigs...that's 72 in all. Interesting side bar; there is no place on god's green earth that you can house 72 Peruvian BBQ candidates and get anything remotely resembling sleep within a mile of their incessant woinkling.

- Racking containing all manner of paired reptiles. Red tail Boas, Ball Pythons, Monitors, Geckos, Anoles,...if it bit, constricted or crapped...we had at least two.

- Cats, not that we were going to breed or sell America's favorite pet, she just could never say no anytime some one brought a litter into the store and abandoned them on the stoop. We only had five - thank the lord - 'cuz I convinced her taht it would be too difficult to fly the birds.

- Dogs,...see above cat mention. We had (2) Akitas - a Japanese breed that were developed for hunting bears...that's right, I said friggin' bears...and they were quite good at it. Hence the name of the 8 month old 185# specimen that we took in, along with his sister. There were the chihuahuas that never saw a man's ankle that they didn't mean to gnaw. The Aussie Shepherd that liked to herd by grabbing my pants leg from
behind and pulling at very inopportune times, such as when I might be carrying a basket of clothes down the stairs. The Golden Retriever puppy who developed a taste for cherry wood,... cabinets that is,... as in custom kitchen cabinets.

- I almost forgot the bunnies! Twelve hutches in all. Dwarf lop ears, lop ears, dwarf, Dutch,... I can't even remember them all. All I do remember is the screaming the morning she went into the screen porch and found that the retic python that someone had dropped at the pet store, 'cuz it was too big, duh! go figure...a mere 8'...had somehow managed to lift a hutch top door and help himself to a little lop eared snack.During the ensuing melee Bear (the Kujo of the Akita world) was let out to romp in the back yard, rather than in the 1/4
acre chain link fenced dog run. He undertook to dismantle a good 30' of my new wooden alternating board privacy fence. I guess he thought it was cherry.

We had parakeets, conures, Quaker parakeets,lories, love birds, canaries, cockatiels, rose breasted cockatoos, an Amazon, a Scarlet Macaw, Finches (Strawberry, Zebras, Gouldians, et al), a mynah a pair of toucans and she probably snuck a pterodactyl in while I was at work.

Did I mention that I'm allergic to everything above except the stuff with scales?

I cannot begin to describe the hours and days that I spent cleaning cages and scrubbing tanks. Just feeding and watering this menagerie took both of us several hours a day, and every night we were up cleaning, separating, manicuring, medicating...I seem to recall this as being roughly about the time that alcohol became a very near and dear friend to me.

Mind you we had no fish to speak of, just one meager 55 gal. assortment of too many angels, too many tetras, too many mollies, too many sword tails and too few scavengers.

Fortunately for us lease negotiations hit a snag before I started buying materials for the 12' tall water column tanks that she wanted built as markers throughout the fish department. Of course that was quite a few kids ago and today there stands one of the areas busier aquatic retailers in the shopping center next door to where we were to open. Great spot, Petco agreed...they also opened a store... right up the street.

As much "fun" as you might think it, I can only suggest that anyone seriously demented enough to contemplate this particular path to poverty spend a few weeks doing something first. Trust me on this, you'll thank me later.

Go buy a twenty gallon aquarium...nothing else, just that one single tank. Now clean it...and as soon as you're done...clean it again. Once you finish cleaning it for a second time...clean it a third time, (beginning to get the picture?).

Keep doing this for an entire day, not your average wussie 8 hour government / union day...I mean one of those self indulgent over paid 16 hour self employed days. Just to help break up the monotony try to calculate in your head how many tanks you'll likely clean if you do that for a year...then five years and ten years and so on until you get to one hundred years.

That's where you'll reach what the MBA types refer to as your break even point. That's the point at which you will have finally earned enough that you are right back where you started one hundred years before.

No need to heed Dantes greeting, there is still hope! Someone might shoot you while robbing you on your way to deposit the rent that's paying off your landlord's multi-million dollar mortgage.

Of course working the insane hours and never going home, 'cuz somebody calls out sick every day...and you are the only back up, your diet will likely consist of a pretty regular regimen of carry out burgers, carry out subs and carry out burgers. The only vegetables in your diet will be the algae that you absorb through osmosis while cleaning your tanks and dipping dead fish.

With a little luck, and a pack a day cigarette habit, hyper tension should claim ya soon enough. :lipssealedsmilie:

Zenfishaquarium

Registered Member
Apr 5, 2009
Brothers and sistahs..... I feel your pain!

I have been in this business for 20 years, worked for every mf'er in the city... had my own store for three years.

It's a pain in the butt. And it aint worth it unless you make it big and methinks its too late for the LFS. It's a dying breed. The internet, the big company/warehouse stores, and the constant back-dooring of one dealer thru another has killed this business.

I will say one thing about the "talkers" who buy stuff online. It should take anyone with enough experience not too long to realize what is happening. Never, NEVER, let a talker, or even a customer whose asking questions, get in the way of helping a customer who needs it. Say excuse me, and go help someone else. Be pro-active. Get help. Be the boss of your customers, not the other way around. If no one is free to help the customers, apologize and tell them you will be with them shortly. Find out who needs help right away, a can of food, 50 feeders, get them out. It's not impossible. Just dont count your grey hairs in the morning, just pay the price without complaint for being part of this business.

daclozer

AC Members
Apr 20, 2010
Hello all, new here but I have been in the hobby for 40 years. I also have owned and operated a LFS and I agree that it was very hard work and long hours. I would add a few things also. The customers were the best part of the experience and some of the worst part. I loved the ones that would approach me and whisper that there was a dead fish in a tank. I hated the ones that would just shout out that there was a dead fish and make a big deal about it.
I was in the business right at the beginning of the online shopping boom so I didn't have to deal so much with that. But I did have a competitor that was a total jerk that was hellbent on badmouthing and trying to do anything possible to steal customers away from the rest of us. His shop was filthy dirty and filled with sickly fish. He actually came into my shop and threw pennies into my reef tanks and turned off airvalves, etc.. He would walk around and had a tape recorder that he would read off the prices of my fish and drygoods so he could undercut me. I threw the guy out pretty quickly and refused to let him in. ) He would call the local dept of ag and make bogus complaints, etc... It was very hard to find good employees that had knowledge and were good with customers. In spite of all that, it was a great experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store