55gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
How about a few Nicaragua cichlids. They have excellent colors and are not extremely aggressive. Could keep with severums, firemouths, acaras, etc...

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
carpintes are the same as Texas chiclids? I thought Texas were 15 inchers.

K here goes, A severum, 2 geos and 2 blue acaras I'm thinking thats a little too overcrowded, but will it work?

Also I'v heard geos need sand, will they be stressed without it?

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
Young smaller fish of the geo. species should be housed with sand. As they grow larger fine gravel can be used. The fish can live without this however as you mentioned they will most likely become stressed and annoyed. These species have a very interesting way of feeding .. a behavior that keeps them active all the time. They way they are able to filter still amazes me for some reason.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
stick with what u got b.acaras are very nice fish that a lot of people are getting now a days. i got a breeding pair in my over crowded 55g.

Baraka

Can I buy you a fish Sandwich?
Apr 17, 2001
GAMEHENGE
sagan.physast.uga.edu
I'd Love a pair of Cons in a 55---
you just have to have an outlet for the fry
but thats enough room for them to stretch ther fins and act crazy

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I'd say you should get an oscar. But only one. He will grow on you( both literally and as a figure of speech) htey make great pets, when they trust you you can even pet them

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'm a big fan of Salvinis, but I think a group of Jewel cichlids would be great for your tank.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Originally posted by 1 fish 2 fish
carpintes are the same as Texas chiclids? I thought Texas were 15 inchers.
Who told you that?

They are two completely different fish that look alike and may be differnt morphs of the same fish that were related somewhere down the line.

A Texas cichlid is a Herichthys cyanoguttatus. It reaches up to 7 inches in length.

A carpinte is a Herichthys Carpinte. They will and have however cross breed with a texas.

Anyway my 55 has my Male JD in it with my large female symspilum, and 6 arulius barbs as targets.

The synspilum is being moved this weekend to one of my other tanks and is being replaced by either a red terror or a texas.

I'm leaning more towards the texas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store