55 Gallon River Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh no, a tank leak?!? Just what any of us doesn't need! Is it your QT? Many sympathies ☹ 😩!

Of course, I'm not sure about your rubber lips, but I know 2tank keeps his B & W pleco species 1 female : 2 males as the papas raise the fry from eggs. Something to research before rehoming (as I'm sure you will do).

I looked through many years of biofilm AC posts & my article "good link" to a study is broken now 😞 Not really surprising, it was from 2010 or earlier. I'll try looking for Dr. Tim's articles later. He's the guy behind the "instant" tank cycling bacteria products Dr Tim's 1 & Only & (later?) Tetra Safe Start. He had posted biofilm pics/illustrations back then + links to his thesis (theses?) on that topic. Not tonight.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Oh no, a tank leak?!? Just what any of us doesn't need! Is it your QT? Many sympathies ☹ 😩!

Of course, I'm not sure about your rubber lips, but I know 2tank keeps his B & W pleco species 1 female : 2 males as the papas raise the fry from eggs. Something to research before rehoming (as I'm sure you will do).

I looked through many years of biofilm AC posts & my article "good link" to a study is broken now 😞 Not really surprising, it was from 2010 or earlier. I'll try looking for Dr. Tim's articles later. He's the guy behind the "instant" tank cycling bacteria products Dr Tim's 1 & Only & (later?) Tetra Safe Start. He had posted biofilm pics/illustrations back then + links to his thesis (theses?) on that topic. Not tonight.
Oh no no NOOOO not me! I'm not leaking!!!
My friend who was going to take one of the extra male chaetostoma plecos, the tank he was going to house him in started leaking.

My QT is a humble rubbermaid tote sitting in my living room with wood, leaves, a cave, and heater/filters in it lol

Biofilm makes me happy. I love it. It's great food for many fish, and shows that the tank is starting a healthy ecosystem already. Plus, knowing it's there when I've got grazing fish planned to live in that tank, that's a good thing.

Been putting together a list of bookmarks of fish options for this tank, for upper level.
I think atm I'm leaning more towards a group of Columbian tetras. Something a little bigger than I'm used to having in terms of tetras, but won't need a huge number of them to utilize the tank, so won't feel empty.
Probably won't be happening until after next May though. Once fish are put into this tank, it's going to be a slow start.

The cory youngsters will be the first put into the tank, once they are too big for their nursery. Let them get used to the tank.

Then perhaps a week later add all 4 of the chaetostoma at the same time. I want them added at same time but after the cories, because my original chaeto boy can be really bossy. So it gives them equal grounds with each other sorting out territory, and if the cories are there first, they should react better. I mean my original doesn't do damage, just hilariously chases everyone away from his favourite spots. That's why I'd like more or equal number of females, because my male is already bossy, I'd like to limit territorial disputes. But the tank does have 2 caves on opposite ends, so even if my friend doesn't end up taking the extra male, it still works

Last edited:

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Oh, and a couple of record photos better showing the new Chaetostoma. They don't have names officially yet like my original one does, but in time.

Fish 1 is female
20231123_205114.jpg

Fish 2 is male
20231123_204650.jpg

Fish 3 is female
20231123_204927.jpg

And bonus pic of the paleatus fry
20231125_194951.jpg
20231125_234745.jpg
20231125_234734.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I love the cory fry!

Could you please expand on how you are sexing the chaetos? Fish #1 has very thickish pectoral spines, fish 2 has thin spines, #3 is in between. Is it more nose shape? Not doubting you in any way, just trying to learn.

I'm very happy it's not your tank that is leaking. You have enough stuff going on right now.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I love the cory fry!

Could you please expand on how you are sexing the chaetos? Fish #1 has very thickish pectoral spines, fish 2 has thin spines, #3 is in between. Is it more nose shape? Not doubting you in any way, just trying to learn.

I'm very happy it's not your tank that is leaking. You have enough stuff going on right now.
Supposedly males get a little bit more of an extension to their nose in comparison, but also extended long pelvic fins.

That said, those apparently show more when the fish is in breeding condition in the presence of females.

My original fish shows both traits, and the newbie shows the extended pelvic fins.

Fish 2 shows the extensions a little better here. The part of the pelvic fin closest to the body is longer than that of the females
20231122_193917.jpg

Fish 1, no extensions
20231122_193902.jpg

Side by side
20231122_195128.jpg

Oh, and bonus, quarantine setup pic lol nothing special. Has cover for the fish, filter, heater, leaves/wood
20231126_131733.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
The newbie chaetostoma were not eating properly, so I've made the decision to move them in with the original boy to the 55g

I'm hoping they will see the original guy eating foods and realize what it is.

And, lots of diatoms and biofilm already if they take some time.

Can clearly see who the original one is lol
20231130_192600.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
They've done what I figured they would--find places to hide haha

And stirred the sand up and clouded the water.

20231201_185356.jpg20231201_153946.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Looking good & not too cloudy. I hope they start eating your foods pretty soon.
The original boy eats everything, so I'm hoping that him eating things shows the other 3 that the things are food lol they do seem to show an interest for spirulina flakes though. But not any pellet or wafer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store