29G Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Well, dang, they look the same to me! But what about the Flourite CEC? Not maybe worth the price difference but since you already have it...

Too bad about the lights, which LEDs did you go with? I'm hoping to wait it out until prices lower.(I'm a late adapter to new tech...shhh, I still don't have a smart phone, lol, too cheap)

I'm glad you have recovered...BTW I think I have those same plates, lol.
The flourite definitely has good CEC which is why I am using it but if I was short I could have mixed some BDBS in and no one would have known. ;)

I went with this fixture. Beamswork EA Timer FSPEC LED Aquarium Light. It is certainly low light, somewhere on par with Finnex Stingray (pun intended!). It will be sufficient for my needs for this tank though and I'm thinking a good medium light on a 20L in the future. For less then $30 shipped I had to try it out! I was considering just getting a new bulb for my AH Supply kit but then I'd have to make a canopy or light hanger for it and although I do love DIY I just want to get this tank going already. hehe

I JUST got a smartphone this year and this is my first LED, I'm right there with you! And not because I don't like tech but because it cost too darn much! lol

Great value brand paper plates....cheap. ;)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
2 peas in a cheapo pod, love it! Those LEDs are getting to my price range! If only I actually needed some, I've heard of Beamworks...I'll wait to see how yours do...& maybe ask my plant club about PAR (as opposed to par for the course) before I get serious, lol.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
My research revealed lots of good things about beamworks so I am hopeful!

Onto the goods! I added a sprinkle of peat moss and osmocote plus to the bottom of the tank. I have medium hard alkaline water and have never tried peat moss before so here we go.

Sloped the flourite from about 1" in front to 2.5" in back. Added the black paper background, which I had to piece in so I choose the left side since my from viewing area I won't see that corner. It also would not go under the upper lip like it usually does so I need to add another piece to the top so I can't see the crack at least. Added WATER! Wiped the bubbles from the front glass only.

That's all for now!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Having trouble with my water. This is what the tank looked like after a couple hours.

Long story short, I have to use my whole house water softener water for now till I get my iron filter working again. Water problems never cease for me, just spent a grand 2 years ago to fix this problem, ugh!!! In the meantime, I got tired of waiting for that one piece of wood to sink (clearly I have never used that piece before :oops:). 3 hours of boiling and it is at least not springing to the surface now when I remove the wedge. Wood soup anyone?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Starting to mull over some ideas for a canopy too. LEDs shouldn't have a lot of light spillage but since it is right next to the tv and the light is higher then my eyes I think it will be distracting.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I bet your house smells woody-wonderful, lol. Don't you think at least some of the cloudiness is from the Flourite sand? I've used both a Quick Filter on a PH & just floss in a HOB to help remove stirred up stuff.

I hear you on light in the eyes. Maybe some dark screen, not sure of any heat issues w/LEDs.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The tank was actually clearer then the picture posted when I filled it, took the picture after awhile. The cloudiness is definitely iron. It precipitates out when exposed to oxygen, clouds the water, smells, leaves a residue on the surface and the filter pad was covered in it. I am all too familiar with this enemy! :mad:

4.5 hrs of boiling and I lied, the wood is still popping up quickly. Should I be taking a hint from all these downfalls? :confused: I've had numerous other problems that I haven't even bothered to mention! lol Nothing worth having is easily had? :cool:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ugh, that iron issue sounds icky! I've been fortunate not to have extreme water problems... Except for limestone water in DE & MI, (but some plants & fish were extra happy) mostly extra soft snow melt vs seasonal...or whatever...but not iron.

Boiling wood has almost always been slow for me, almost never just boil a few hours & ready...but I tend toward big pieces that don't fit in any pan I own & soaking without boiling is weeks or months of waiting...& waiting.

Does Purigen or ChemiPure remove iron? I know there's something that does, you're not the only 1 with iron-rich water that needs help but I'm no use.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
8 hrs of boiling, couldn't do it anymore, back to soaking! I added a piece of wood to the boiling that was not part of the scape but has been submerged before so if the fresh piece doesn't sink soon I will toss it and try to rescape. Been soaking 2 weeks, a good boil, plus another week to go...fingers crossed!

I have a very expensive iron filter in the basement that is supposed to remove iron and did but recently something happened and I am 7 years away from needing to replace the media. I'm in discussion with the company, hopefully we will get it straightened out soon, thanks. More fingers crossed!

Refilled the tank, staying clean and clear so far! No need for fingers crossed, I'm pretty sure it will be fine now with the other water in it. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store