29G Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Could it be a flow issue? What's the difference in filtration/flow rate? I'm having a hard time that they went from a storm of Amanos in the trap...to idlers. WTH? Gee, I don't know what to ask...Difference in wood?

I'd wait to move them back until you catch at least a few RCS...how's the cherry trapping going? More than a few hours ago or whenever lately?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Good thoughts. The flow is definitely stronger in the 58g (about 500-600 gph tested, don't recall exact) vs. 29g (320gph, not tested but surely less). But I can't see less flow making them inactive?

Wood is also different. 58g has 2 piece of unknown wood, one I got from a larger piece from a local river and one was screwed to slate from local store MANY years ago and 29g has manzanita that I've used in other tanks. All wood was boiled prior to use.

Cherry trapping became cherry netting but I got most of them (only about 12-15 total). Just to be clear, when I said move them back to the 58g I meant all of the shrimp, amano and RCS.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sorry for the double post...Maybe see how RCS do in the 29g without the Amanos? No other clues...just guessing as usual...woods can make a difference sometimes...& I've had some very old wood "suddenly" go to pot & break down after many years of happiness...& some locally "found" wood to be...less than wonderful...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
A couple females Amanos are dropping their eggs (new eggs) and getting cloudy bodies (like the male I threw in here awhile back). I am pulling them all out for now. Trap has been in there for at least an hr and no one has shown any interest, a very bad sign.

Formulating a next step...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Oh, got my special poly filter today (was here Thursday but no one told me). Threw a piece in and we will see if it changes color.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
More than 24 hrs with the shrimp trap in there, with blood worms, shrimp pellets and algae wafer bits and not 1 shrimp. Poly filter turned brown (organics/tannins), maybe a hint or orange. Orange would be copper but my copper test say no copper, tests aren't always perfect though. I think this is the 1st time I have used this tank since I bought it used. Maybe he used copper meds and my test is no good? Why didn't I think of running carbon before!? Oh well, I've already pulled the tank apart and caught almost all the shrimp, couple good hiders or they jumped. They were just so lethargic, hiding, not eating, turning white, dropping eggs etc that I had to get them out of there ASAP. They instantly look better in the 58g, not color wise but more active and grazing, like I've actually seen them a few times while typing this which is more than I could say in this tank. Color wise I can better see how discolored they are :/

What to do!?!?
So I think the plants at the very least are savable. The wood did have some growth on it but it looked like stuff I've seen healthy shrimp eat, these guys weren't eating though or was the growth making them not eat? Hmm? To be safe I think I will ditch the wood since it is so porous. *hyperventilating* I love this wood! :( And the buce is very attached to one piece. Maybe this tank is just not shrimp safe, inverts are more sensitive to things (like copper) than fish.... I am floundering here. Darn Libra in me! lol

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I can't remember everything I have read in here, so forget/forgive anything that has been covered before.

But if you don't know what the wood is, I would imagine that could be a decent part of the problem.. at least potentially.

How much gas exchange is there going to be? from things like water surface being broken etc? I know everyone says no due to injecting CO2 and it being bad... but generally you do need oxygen in the water too,

Just a couple of thoughts, I'm still recovering from a long weekend,

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The wood is manzanita of unknown origin, storage and previously used in other tanks. I have the spraybar pointed towards the surface and a HOB with a surface skimmer on this tank. Not injecting CO2, just making that clear. Long thread (with lots of info) so forgiven 100%. :) I'm just happy to get SOME ideas, I'm feeling a bit lost ATM. At least I feel a little better knowing that it's not me or my water, it's this tank setup specifically.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If it's copper, gee, I don't even know if "just" resealing would make it invert safe. I don't know if there could be enough splashed under the rim to harm them.

Maybe it's time to turn it into a mollie fry tank? It looks so bare without the wood :( I miss the buces too.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I moved some mollies to this tank awhile back and they are doing just fine so it must be an invert issue. They even released some babies which I will talk about more in my 58g thread as to keep their story in one place. Hair algae is still going strong and although I have seen the mollies nibble on it they haven't put a dent in it.

Right after tearing the tank apart I did throw the wood back in, not neatly though. I also removed all the floaters, don't think I said that. One swoop not a single spore left behind, haha to you giant duckweed lol. No ferts again just some light fish feeding and bi-weekly water changes (0 nitrates even then). It does have a bit of glass algae now (that the floaters r gone?) but besides that everything is fine, with me anyways.

The future of this tank? To be decided.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store