15 gallon Betta tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I started keeping bettas again, after such a long time not having any. I have a Veiltail and a HM Plaket, both male. I was thinking about dividing a 10 gallon, but I think a 15g I can divide 3 ways verses 2 ways. Currently one betta is in a 2.5 gallon Bowfront and the other is in a half gallon tank(Which is only temporary, changed every other day). I want to get another betta, either a HM, Koi, or a Rose petal. Not sure yet, but I want to get the tank set up and cycled first. Going to put my AC50 on it at the lowest setting. Might not do a heater but not sure, room does get warm, so might go with a heater. I have a spare 100 watt, I think that would be ok. Live plants in each section and I can a LED light strip as well. Just need to get the tank, substrate, and glass top.

I'll had photos of my bettas later.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Sounds alright, and I think you're right; if you wanted to keep 3 Bettas in a 15, with dividers, it sounds okay. 5 gallons for each Betta is enough. I've never used dividers myself, but make sure they aren't clear as bettas get stressed just looking at their own reflection; If they saw other Bettas they'd go mad. Maybe you should just put the heater in, in the Winter?
Anyway, what kind of plants were you thinking for the sections.
I would recommend small cryptocoryns.
This tank sounds very neat and would look cool and pretty I think! Good luck!

-Aquaticfrog32

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Not a big fan of divided tanks personally but this sounds reasonable. I would use 3 small sponge filters instead of the HOB though. Better/even distribution of flow. I only use heaters in the winter myself and only in certain rooms (the living room has a wood burning stove and that tank NEVER needs a heater). We set our AC to 77 so even when the air is on it is still warm enough! Just monitor your room temp, I have several of those clock/temp things around the house for this purpose.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I was thinking of picking up two mesh dividers, which allow water to flow though, and the bettas wouldn't able to see each other. My room does get cooler during late fall and very cold during winter. The heater in my room alone barely works, since it's a very old house. That;s a downside. I was thinking dwarf hairgrass, moss balls, java fern and maybe dwarf crypts. Also going to put a snail or 2 in each section.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
I had a divided betta tank with a mesh divider and HOB filter, and the side without the filter was always less physically clean. (Presumably they were the same chemically.) It wasn't a very high power filter, so you might have better luck. Still, if gunk is going to be a big problem, or you're worried about it breaking down faster than you can change water you might want to consider separate filters or something.

Brian

Hendre

AC Members
Sep 7, 2016
I would give my betta a whole 15 and keep him/her with some corys or small loaches :p

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
If you are talking about these types of divders they don't allow much flow through. Of course water goes through them but not very well IME. Also I know my fish could see through them.

I would give my betta a whole 15 and keep him/her with some corys or small loaches :p
Me too! But everyone is different and that's ok. :)

Hendre

AC Members
Sep 7, 2016
If you are talking about these types of divders they don't allow much flow through. Of course water goes through them but not very well IME. Also I know my fish could see through them.

Me too! But everyone is different and that's ok. :)
yep. Im getting fancy goldfish for my 70 later this year. people i know might call me crazy

Hendre

AC Members
Sep 7, 2016
A betta with a lot of space, and a scaped tank is marvellous IMO. Im keeping mine with a khuli loach in a 5gallon until i can get a larger tank (and more loaches)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store