10g Stocking Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petal

Registered Member
Feb 28, 2016
Hello! This is really my second time stocking a 10g tank but this time I want to stock it with many more fish (I used to only have 2 mollies) and I was wondering if what I have planned for it is okay.

- 1 male betta
- 1 african dwarf frog
- 3 otos
- 5 neon tetras

I have a couple of questions about this setup:

1. Is it overstocked (if it is will removing the frog or an oto be enough)?

2. What order should I add the fish in (I was planning on adding the tetras first (but if I do should I add all 5 of them at once)?

3. Do otos prefer to be in groups?

4. Do you have any other suggestions/advice for this setup?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) Not over stocked, but a little small and doable (IMO).
2) Put them all in at once, if your tank is cycled. If not--Betta first.
3) Yes, but then 10gal is too small for 3 of them. I would skip the Otos and get a snail or 2 (Nerite).
4) make sure tank is cycled (fishless preferred).

Reactions: Gabler

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I agree with Tanker on this one. Otos are not my favorite, but they also need more room and greater numbers. Otos tend to get a little aggressive as they hit adulthood and that could be a problem. The only other issue is you will have to be sure your frog is eating. Most starve to death, so do your home work first.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I think this sounds fine, And I think that:
1) The betta could be aggressive towards the frog( depends on the betta )
2) You should have a backup tank, since keeping 5 neons means there is a good chance of reproduction and other fish may eat the eggs so they should have there own tank until adulthood
- Hope you are satisfied with your tank! Sounds like a nice arrangement!:)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would skip the frog and ottos and do more like 7-8 neons and the betta.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I would skip the frog and ottos and do more like 7-8 neons and the betta.
Isn't it a problem keeping he two together, though, since bettas typically like higher temps than Neons?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Isn't it a problem keeping he two together, though, since bettas typically like higher temps than Neons?
Excellent point.. I totally forgot about that!

I have kept bettas at room temperature which ranged from 68-80F, but Neons do indeed do better at mid-high 60s.

Gabler

AC Members
May 1, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Real Name
Gabler
The betta is a labyrinth fish, so it can handle the lower oxygen content of warmer water as long as it can gulp at the surface. They're native to stagnant ponds and rice paddies, so if the water quality is good enough for the tetras, it should be more than adequate for the betta.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
...this. No frog or otos with the betta, though it says you can.

1) Not over stocked, but a little small and doable (IMO).
2) Put them all in at once, if your tank is cycled. If not--Betta first.
3) Yes, but then 10gal is too small for 3 of them. I would skip the Otos and get a snail or 2 (Nerite).
4) make sure tank is cycled (fishless preferred).
Super small tank, not enough room for fish to hide from betta if it goes that route, which would be unfortunate. Why not just do the betta and some big nerite snails or something? 10g is unfortunately not a whole lot of room, even with a passive betta. Make it a nice, planted betta lair :)

cheers.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
To avoid the temperature clash why not swap the neons for harlequin raspboras? They like slightly warmer temperatures. I too agree with losing the ottos, they do get a little big for a 10 gal. Nerite snails are a great substitute, they come in some pretty awesome morphs

(horned nerites for example)

and won't reproduce in your tank. My experience with the frogs is that they hide all the time, you never see them, they aren't the best feeders and really do better in a species tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store