Yeast Mixture In Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Well, I'll put this here because I figure only the plant people will have come across this problem.

SO, Like a TOTAL IDIOT, the other day, I refilled my DIY CO2 setup. And then the phone rang. I was in such a hurry that I just set the bottle down after setting it up - I usually tie it to the stand to ensure that it doesn't fall over. You can guess what happened. I forgot about it for the night and the next morning I woke up to a tipped over bottle with slightly less than half of its contents having spilled into the tank (that makes about 1 liter that went in the tank). This happened three days ago or so.

I've been doing a lot of water changes. Probably 4 a day. The tank has got pygmy cories and ADF's and its a 10g.

My question is: how long do you guys think it will take to clear the problem up? It started off cloudy and if I'm a little late with a w/c it gets cloudier.

Also, I'm curious as to if its really bothering the fish. They don't *seem* to mind...and pygmies are pretty sensitive. What is it that makes it bad for the fish? I have done so many water changes that I'd imagine that I got out almost all of the original "gunk" and fermented water...

Any had this happen to them? I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
I've read that the water changes will work, just keep doing it.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I do know that the water changes will work, I guess I was just curious as to how long it usually takes to clear up and what it is specifically about the yeast being in there that makes it "bad" for the fish, ie, does it really bother them or does it provide more of an aesthetic nuisance.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yeast shouldn't cause a problem--it will die off as soon as the food source is gone, and depending on what you use for food, that could cause a bigger problem. I would try doing 3 50% changes, about 45 minutes apart, and see if that clears it up any better.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Thanks OG. I did that the first and second day. The problem is still here, however, so I guess I'll continue doing large, frequent water changes.

When you say "and depending on what you use for food, that could cause a bigger problem", what exactly do you mean?

Toro Driver

AC Members
May 9, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
I had the same problem, except the cat knocked over my bottle. I also rinsed the filters with each water change. It took almost a week before the water resumed it crystal clear quality.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site

Niraj

Registered Member
Feb 26, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
I have had a similar problem with yeast, except that with mine I havn't been able to get it clear no matter what I've tried!

Please Help!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
How long has it been cloudy and how much went in? In shouldn't hurt much of anything (I had about 1 liter go in with pygmy cories and they were fine). I ended up doing 3 30-50% water changes each day, making sure to gravel vac really well because it caused some weird stuff to form in the glosso in the bottom.

It took 6-7 days before it looked like normal again.

So, the answer, I suppose, is do water changes until you never want to pick up a syphon again:(

zin

AC Members
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
i had that happen aswell, i quickly did a 50% water change and put some carbon in the filter, after about 6 hours i did another 50% water change, left the carbon in for about 2 days, then refertilized. everything is going well.

what actually happened was the yeast foamed and pumped that into the tank, so i added a bottle to filter the air.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store