HOB filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The tom rapids is a great nano tank filter but I find it is a bit under powered for it's rating but then again I am an overfilter'er. :)

Never heard of that one D dougall !

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I like ACs too but also use old Wispers I've had many years. ACs don't always self prime after a power outage. & I learned the hard way, they need to be pretty level or slightly tilted toward the tank. The little plastic leveling device is a PITA, it falls off or breaks pretty easily. But just about anything can be put between the filter box & tank to replace it, I hear legos are popular.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Never heard of that one D dougall !
Perhaps you just have a life outside of aquariums and pet stores... clearly I don't.

I do have it, I cannot remember where from, it could have been a convention auction or maybe that pet place.

I just used it to get a bit of water movement in a tank for corydorus hastatus until I could use a regular old canister filter.

thacarter546

AC Members
Apr 9, 2012
While I agree that the media is cheaper in the long term with an aquaclear, my experience has been that keeping the pump working is an exercise in futility. To top it all off if you want to keep it quieter than a dull roar you have to change the impeller shafts as often as you would change filters with any other brand.

I ended up smashing 3 aquaclear 110 and would never buy a Hagen/Fluval made filter again.

I've had great luck with marineland if you get a good one. They seem to have more doa filters than any other brand.

The eheim liberty series is super quiet and reliable.

That being said I haven't purchased a hob for years. It's cheaper and easier in the long run to suck it up and run a canister. I often go 3-6 months between cleanings on my eheim canisters. Even then the flow hasn't slowed significantly.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Huh, I've only had to replace an Aqua Clear impeller once when I let it suck up sand & it etched the ceramic piece. I love ACs & have for 25-30 years, maybe, like some things, their not the same anymore. My newest is probably at least 15 years old & still going strong but not necessarily in continuous use, I've lost track. I "hear" the new sponges aren't as durable as the old but I've never replaced mine, ever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store