HOB filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Twistycricket

AC Members
Mar 30, 2016
I was a hard core tetra whisper filter user until the tetra whisper i series came out. I never could get the i series to go back together correctly without wanting to throw it across the room and into the trash at least 16 times. Then one day during routine maintenance of my new 9 months old tetra whisper i, the impeller assembly came apart. This surprised me as it seemed like that section was hemetically sealed ( which baffled me because the impeller needs to be cleaned occasionally). So I happily cleaned the impeller unit and then the trouble started. The rubber caps on both ends of the impeller shaft failed when trying to reinstall the impeller and close the unit shut. I ended up with the impeller shaft spearing through both rubber caps then the impeller casing itself and I still couldn't get the thing to go back together. At this point I saw red and began shopping for a new brand of filter to love. So far I have tested the aqueous and aquaclear brands and found the original tetra whisper filters on Amazon. My LFS has also gone back to carrying the original tetra whisper filters and ditched the new i series filters. I am wondering what experiences other people have had with other brands of filters. What was the performance level? What types of media did it use? What was the noise level and longevity of the filter? Please share your experiences.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I really like the AquaClear HOBs. They are quiet, efficient, I've never had one stop working and you can easily run whatever media you like in them. Alternatively, I have rigged up cheap filters to run with AquaClear/Fluval media and had that work great as well. One of my favorite Frankenstein's is using the AC/Fluval media with a Penguin Biowheel. You get the benefit of the wet/dry biowheel and the AC/Fluval media. Its the best of both worlds.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The only HOBs that I like are HOT Magnums (discontinued). My second choice would be the AC.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I don't use HOBs much but when I do I always go for my AquaClears first! For the reasons Tiff said, they are quiet, versatile and durable.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Mag's hot replacement is internal.....

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Going way back, my first HOB was a DynaFlo. I ran those in conjunction with under gravel filters. In the past 4yrs or so I've used a Top Fin 30 (similar to Tetra Whisper), A Penguin bio wheel, an Aqueon Quietflow and several Aquaclears. The only ones I would continue to use and recommend to others is Aquaclear. They all make noise, can rattle or not startup with out an impeller "flick" at times. Like said above, what makes AC filters stand above all is their re-usable media and the fact they're so easy to fit with your own media. HOBs that require cartridges/pads changes will cost you more money to operate.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Mag's hot replacement is internal.....
Yes, I have seen them. What are they thinking?

HOT means Hang-on-tank, not internal. :mad:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Despite it's popularity, mine included, there were complaints about difficulty in taking it off and getting it primed again. Though the internal takes up tank space and IMO is unsightly, the re-prime is less. I wish they had kept the HOT but in a slightly larger size actually and opted for an internal if they really felt the need for one.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The only one these days that I've seen online with the "hang-on-tank" claim is the Tom Rapids Mini Canister. Around $30 shipped. They look interesting if you don't want the splashing and stirring up HOBs can do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store