Detrius eating snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Can anyone help me with a good snail to add to my tank that will eat leftover food/fish poop? The tank contains a male and female gourami and an upside down catfish

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
there is nothing you can put in your tank that will eat fish poop. period.

if you want to get rid of the poop you have to clean the tank.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana

yeah, trumpets just eat the food. nothing eats poop but dung beetles, sorry there not aquatic.:grinyes::grinyes::grinyes:

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.

I think you will find that certain marine snails and crabs will eat fish faeces. Thanks for the info on cleaning, never thought of that

Bobnova

Apr 11, 2006
Snails poop too.

If there is uneaten food you are feeding too much, what happens to it after that doesn't really matter much, it'll make its way into the water column as waste regardless of whether snails eat it or not.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I dont over feed my fish. It was a general question as snails/crabs are used as clean up crews on marine tanks for algae/detrius(uneaten food stuffs)/fish waste. The waste given off from a snail is not as bad as the waste given off by fish which is why they are used to help break it down. I simply wanted to know if there was a fresh water snail equivalant

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
not really, fw snails produce a surprising amount of waste. the closest you to what you are looking for is shrimp as they have a very light bioload, but often become snacks in community tanks unless the tanks are densely planted in areas.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
What species of shrimp would survive in a tank with a male and female gourami and an upside down catfish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store