Tank mates for a REDTAIL CATFISH!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
i have a 150 gal, with a baby redtail catfish, im trying to think of some interesting fish that can grow up with him... (and yes, i know that my redtail will outgrow the tank... ) but i would like to get his tank mates while he is still younge, in other words.. before everyother fish appears to be food! lol.. anyone have any suggestions??

scott-kim

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Tiger shovlenose, pacus, Chichla sp., dovii, umbie, channel cat, silver arowana( if you get it 6"+) lungfish, Giraffe cat, spotted gar, alligator gar, common or other large growing pleco,

fishlover88

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
id go for the arrowana or the gar, i would stay away from more catfish. That is weird for me to say, cause i love them so much. But with so much water, you dont fish that just sit on the bottom. If it were my tank i would have the red tail, a tiger shovelnose, and then a silver arrowana. But that entails a major upgrade later. like huge, so i would look for something that isnt going to just sit at the bottom of the tank all the time.

shrimpin

theres always room for one more
Sep 25, 2005
tempe, az
that gar thing looks aggressive, are you sure it wouldn't want to munch on the redtail at all??

shrimpin

theres always room for one more
Sep 25, 2005
tempe, az
Please PM me for a link to a video on a aligator gar.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReignsAngel

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ft. Walton Beach, FL.
I watched about 2 seconds of that before I turned it off. You should have a warning about that vid, not everyone wants to see that kind of thing. :headshake2:

cliffs: the guy was feeding his alligator gar a mouse, holding it by the tail about to drop it in, I turned it off before watching the poor mousy die. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

fishlover88

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
well if he got the gar small enough, its possible that theyll leave it alone. My vote is for the aro, but dont forget that the red tail will get big enough to take on small animals itself. But your right the gar might be too aggresive.

L046

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
My feel is that you should keep the redtail cat on its own, reason is that it simply grow way too faster ahead of other big fishes, so unless you can have another big fish of similar size in the same tank, it risks being eaten by this cat.

Jeox

AC Members
May 29, 2006
an rtc would prolly eat the gar,or arowana. Hmm. Pacu seem to work, and grow at about the same speed.:)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
No more fish please. I doubt they'll last as the RTC grows. This fish should have been banned from the aquarium trade for its potential size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store