Snail Air Bath

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
First, let me apologize if this is in the wrong place. I searched for information on this subject in this forum but found nothing on it. I just wanted to see how many people give their mystery snails 'air baths' and if you do, does it really work? They say (other websites) that it is supposed to rejuvenate them. What do you say? hmmmm 🤔🤔🤔

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never heard of "air baths" for mystery snails. Mine lived in a rimless tank & would sometimes climb out. Probably looking to lay eggs. They would hit the wood floor with a ping pong ball thunk. I would rescue them. A few times I didn't notice for a while & their "trapdoor" was closed tight to keep them from drying out. They were fine after I put them back.

They have a siphon that they can use to breathe atmospheric air if they want. I never saw mine do that. After all the "jumpers" I left their water level down a couple inches, it helped a little bit. A self-administered air bath? LOL

I'm not sure how that would "rejuvenate" them. I did a very brief search & saw how to do it. But not why (shrug) If you try it be, gentle detaching them from tank or decor, you don't want to hurt them. If you tap lightly on their shell they may retract. I'm not big on handling my "wet pets" often.

wiseiam

Here fishy fishy.....
Jul 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Felisha
I've never heard of "air baths" for mystery snails. Mine lived in a rimless tank & would sometimes climb out. Probably looking to lay eggs. They would hit the wood floor with a ping pong ball thunk. I would rescue them. A few times I didn't notice for a while & their "trapdoor" was closed tight to keep them from drying out. They were fine after I put them back.

They have a siphon that they can use to breathe atmospheric air if they want. I never saw mine do that. After all the "jumpers" I left their water level down a couple inches, it helped a little bit. A self-administered air bath? LOL

I'm not sure how that would "rejuvenate" them. I did a very brief search & saw how to do it. But not why (shrug) If you try it be, gentle detaching them from tank or decor, you don't want to hurt them. If you tap lightly on their shell they may retract. I'm not big on handling my "wet pets" often.
I don't usually handle them either. I just like to watch them race across the glass! I like to see who wins lolol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store