Impeller Options for Coralife Super Skimmer 33000 (65g)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kevinmro

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2008
Hey all! Have been reading the forums for a long time, believe this is my first post.

I have two questions:

1. The Impeller on my Super Skimmer 33000 has taken a turn for the worse. I am wondering if there are any alternatives regarding replacement of the OEM impeller. Any thoughts?

2. Would i be able to replace the entire pump with a non-OEM pump? i.e. another brand (figuring I'd just need to have a needle wheel setup with the same GPH)?

Look forward to your advice.

Thanks.

Beaux

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
the guy that sold me his crashed reef and got me started in marine sent along a bunch of magazines and stuff along with the setup and these guys here sometimes sell parts as well as equipment. i dug enough to get ya to their protein skimmer page but thats as far as i got..lol. it takes a bit on this phone! hope ya find something to help, n good luck! Beaux

drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-protein-skimmer/ps/c/3578/4392

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Impellers tend to be pump specific, or at least brand specific in most cases. However, people have been known to modify the impeller in their protein skimmer pump to try and make it more efficient / chop the bubbles up smaller.

Yes, you can definitely replace the entire pump with something you think is more suitable. You will need to be sure there's a venturri on it for mixing air with the water (if the venturri is a part of the pump assembly and not the skimmer itself). While you can certainly try to replace it with another needle wheel pump of similar GPH, that's not really a requirement. Depending on how you feel the skimmer is performing, a slightly stronger (or weaker) pump could improve performance. Unless you can find some comments from people that have changed out the pump on that model of skimmer, it will definitely be a bit of trial and error.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store