First day here, first thread, and new 30 day old tank. So much to learn.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JJays

AC Members
Jul 26, 2024
I had a 20 gal tank some 20 or more years or so ago, and everything was artificial except for the fish. Due to the constant need of maintenance I gave up a year or two later. I am now retired and older then dirt myself. Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a 29 gallon tank that has been up and running for a month with satisfactory results for the most part. There is still so much to learn though. I know I wanted to have live plants, and realize that fish waste can aid in the fertilization of the plants. Anyway, after watching a lot of youtube videos on the subject I decided to start by using an inch or so of pre washed organic potting mix, topped off with two inches of pre washed play sand purchased from Home depot. I then added the water, along with the back filter, heater, Etc. I then added more sand and destroyed my filter, which I replaced with a sponge filter rated for a 40 gal tank. Again so far so good. I then added eleven assorted plants, and nine small fish I bought at pet smart. I have no idea what the names of them even are. Again, so far so good. I feed the fish brine shrimp rather then the processed flakes, and am careful not to over feed. Anyway, I am now seeing some brown haze on the top of the front glass closest to the light, and two of the plants are developing a black color to a couple of leaves. I believe it's a form of algae. I did order yesterday fifteen verities of plants so I can plant a lot heavier, and hopefully that will help solve at least part of the algae problem, but not sure, just hoping for the best.------My appreciation to the moderators for allowing me to be part of this forum.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Again, welcome to AC JJays. I sort of answered you in your planted tank thread.

All I'm going to say here is brine shrimp is not a great "only" diet for your fish. It's kind of like protein potato chips. OK for a treat but not so much for all the time. What fish do you have? There are some better foods you might look into offering them on a regular basis. Not all flakes are bad, variety is good. Fussy fish are a PITA if you run out of the preferred kind. We can help you choose if you'd like.

I'm trying hard not to overwhelm you with bossiness but that's often hard for me ;) Take it that in the nice way I mean it :) & let others help you too, we all have opinions. There's no 1 right way to happy tanks, it's a learning curve for any tank.

JJays

AC Members
Jul 26, 2024
Again, welcome to AC JJays. I sort of answered you in your planted tank thread.

All I'm going to say here is brine shrimp is not a great "only" diet for your fish. It's kind of like protein potato chips. OK for a treat but not so much for all the time. What fish do you have? There are some better foods you might look into offering them on a regular basis. Not all flakes are bad, variety is good. Fussy fish are a PITA if you run out of the preferred kind. We can help you choose if you'd like.

I'm trying hard not to overwhelm you with bossiness but that's often hard for me ;) Take it that in the nice way I mean it :) & let others help you too, we all have opinions. There's no 1 right way to happy tanks, it's a learning curve for any tank.

I don't take your post as being bossy. I jumped into this aquarium thing with both feet, yet knowing next to nothing. I can use all the help I can get. My aquarium set up I chose, I got from watching Father Fish videos. While I do like fish, I seem to enjoy the plants better.

Reactions: fishorama

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Awesome! I also have a heavily planted tank but tend to love what grows like weeds rather than having a beautifully scaped artistic aquarium. My original inspiration, some 20 years ago, was to approximate nature so I wouldn't have to do water changes. I've since learned that was called aquaponics and I am nowhere near the first person to think about this. I pat myself on the back because I figured out most of it before YouTube was there to help me. At this stage, my only advice is to have good lights and know that there will be a ton of mistakes along the way. More plants will die than live but, once you figure out the magic sauce, the ones that live will thrive and be very amazing. Plants are slow to adjust. When they're not growing and I start to question whether a newish one is even going to live, I'll think about transplanting it only to find that the leaves haven't grown but the roots are amazing and the plant turns out to be quite happy. I don't mean this to say it's all death and sadness, only to know it's a guessing game that takes forever. Knowing success will eventually come makes the loss easier. Knowing everyone with beautiful tanks started with die offs that were completely preventable (in hindsight) makes it easier when your tank is full of algae and weeds and seems ugly to you. Anyway, welcome. Pictures are never required but always encouraged. Since you don't know all the types of fish you have, photos!

Reactions: fishorama

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Albuquerque
Real Name
Josh
I had a 20 gal tank some 20 or more years or so ago, and everything was artificial except for the fish. Due to the constant need of maintenance I gave up a year or two later. I am now retired and older then dirt myself. Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a 29 gallon tank that has been up and running for a month with satisfactory results for the most part. There is still so much to learn though. I know I wanted to have live plants, and realize that fish waste can aid in the fertilization of the plants. Anyway, after watching a lot of youtube videos on the subject I decided to start by using an inch or so of pre washed organic potting mix, topped off with two inches of pre washed play sand purchased from Home depot. I then added the water, along with the back filter, heater, Etc. I then added more sand and destroyed my filter, which I replaced with a sponge filter rated for a 40 gal tank. Again so far so good. I then added eleven assorted plants, and nine small fish I bought at pet smart. I have no idea what the names of them even are. Again, so far so good. I feed the fish brine shrimp rather then the processed flakes, and am careful not to over feed. Anyway, I am now seeing some brown haze on the top of the front glass closest to the light, and two of the plants are developing a black color to a couple of leaves. I believe it's a form of algae. I did order yesterday fifteen verities of plants so I can plant a lot heavier, and hopefully that will help solve at least part of the algae problem, but not sure, just hoping for the best.------My appreciation to the moderators for allowing me to be part of this forum.
Welcome!
Processed flakes would be much better than brine. I’d go with a high quality pellet/flake, maybe something like NLS and I’m also a fan of Ron’s rift cichlid pellets and mix in brine and bloodworms occasionally.
The brown film sounds like diatoms, which is about right for a tank at the 30 day mark. You’ll probably have bouts of diatoms and various algae until the tank matures and then assuming your parameters are good and there’s not too much direct sunlight , the algae should taper off.

Reactions: fishorama and JJays
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store