Cycling new tank with old filter media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

catTV

AC Members
Feb 9, 2007
Texas
I'm moving existing fish and live plants from a 24g Aquapod to a 50g tank that will have a canister filter. Can I quickly cycle the new tank by transferring the existing bio-balls and ceramic rings from the old filter into the new canister filter, and maybe also soaking the sponge media from the old tank's filter in the new tank. Could it be established in a week or so? I could maybe toss in some food and a fish or two to create a little ammonia. I'll also be moving the existing Eco-Complete and adding another bag to the new tank if that makes a difference.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Yes thats the way to do it, transfer and or squeeze all the media you can, watch wp's for a week or so........:)

ThePBM

Rich Hobo
Jul 30, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
just let it run for 2 weeks with new and old media. every other day give that sponge a squeeze right around the intake for that canister, then you can take it out after the 2 weeks. unless you have more testing supplies than you know what to do with, i wouldn't worry about them in a 50g

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Just remember to keep all of that media fully submersed in old tank water!

If you're moving up in tank size, there is less of a chance of there being any issues by the simple fact that even though you will be losing whatever bacteria was living in the substrate, glass, ornaments, etc of the old tank, the ammonia will be less concentrated, and therefore easier for the remaining bacteria to contend with. That means there is plenty of time for new bacteria to grow into itself and repopulate the system.

I don't foresee the slightest problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store