Anyone keep Samurai Gourami's?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Does anyone keep this gourami? I've been given the prime directive that I can only have one more tank....for now:evil_lol:
I was looking into Apisto's I was interested in and other fish and found these gourami's. I read they're like Chocolate G's but not as hard to keep, and a very nice looking G too. They are mouthbrooders and are to be kept in groups. Anyone have any info on these guys from personal experience I'd love to hear about it. I haven't been able to find too much about them and only one place to buy them, www.AZgardens.com They also have the most info on them that I found. Can you keep Apisto's with gourami's? I was thinking on getting Apisto Nijsseni or Linkei untill I saw these Gourami's. It might have to be one or the other. I would be using a 40 breeder.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
They are great little fish. It's the females that are most colorful, and you definitely want a male heavy sex ratio. Unlike other gouramis, they prefer sticking to structure over hanging out at the surface. I kept 2 females and 5 males in a 30 for a couple years with kuhlis and microrasbora.

Here's a link to my old setup.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?154922-Asian-blackwater-tank-(pic-heavy)

Have you checked anubiasdesign.com? I've seen them on there pretty often.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Inka thanks, they are beautiful fish, yours looked great! Do you still have them, that link was a few years ago. Do they need the black water or regular fresh ok? Haven't checked anubiasdesign but I will after this,haha:)
Did you get them to breed for you?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Thanks gourami! I actually lost them when I moved, and had to break the tank down. All the kuhlis are still going strong though. I had numerous males holding, but never saw fry. Assuming they got picked off by the other community inhabitants. If I ever took another stab at them, it'd likely be in a species tank. I know there are parts of Queens and Brooklyn that have different tap water, but for the most part, our water should be perfect as is. The black water was more of a stylistic choice in that setup. Honestly, if you really like them and can't find them now, I'd just hold out. They always seem to come around.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I was thinking of just keeping them alone, glad you said that. I'd love to see the males let those babies out! I think I just made my decision. I'm going to put the tank up in April sometime and then once it's cycled hopefully someone close will have them if not I'll have to order them. I think it will be an interesting group to watch:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store