yellow lab's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
At what size will yellow labs ( labidachromis caruleus )start to breed ? I have 6 , their around 2".thanks

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Its possible they could start now. I would think 2.5" is more realistic. Keep feeding'em. 2.5-3" you will definatly be in business.

ttl

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
thanks , I know the pitus cats will eat anything that comes their way(includeing fry)so I will move them in time....
what are some signs that the labs show,when their ready? I believe I have 2m 4f and would like to know my time table with getting the cats out of that aquarium.

Wench

AC Members
Feb 25, 2002
Cleveland, NY
I notice that my male will start to harrass the females shortly after a water change. He will constantly follow a female around, shaking, dancing whatever. I believe the females hold for like 28 days before spitting out the fry. I move my female to her own tank a week or so before she's ready to spit. Once that is done I leave the female in the same tank with the babies for a week to give her time to recuperate.
Unless you don't plan on raising the fry, then leaving the mom in the main tank is fine. Chances are they will get picked off by the other tank mates.

I just added my babies to the main tank today. Its so neat to see the little ones swimming around with the big guys.

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
The dominate male hassles them by chasing but does this to all of them. I've been watching the females and they are all still eating , so nobodys holding eggs..yet Have any of you noticed your labs,while chasing each other, rub thier bodys on the gravel ? This is something mine do and I have no sign of ick,its like their playing follow the leader.

SoulkeepeR

Social Lurker
Mar 15, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
yea! its fooled me also, they like to rub thier bellys on stuff for some reason, at first is was worried and thought it was ich, my clown loach does it to for some reason.

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
After they did this the first time I spent the whole day looking for ick !I've heard that most cichlids eat their first couple of batchs of fry,so I'm trying not to get to excited .....yeah like thats going to work!

kev82

AC Members
Apr 16, 2001
www.fishfiles.org
Mine started to breed around 2,5" and haven't stopped since.
I feed them high protein foods, like bloodworms and such for a week or so, then do a 25% water change with cold water and they start breeding immediately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store