Who else turns off thier heaters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
The weather here has been very strange lately and keeps getting hotter. What ever happened to spring? It went from Winter to Summer. I'm in Northern New Jersey and its been very unbearable. I have 2 tanks running one has goldies (37g) and the other tropical (55g). I since unplugged the heater from the 37 a while ago, where it sat at 65 for 2 months, now it's sitting at 76 without the heater. While the 55g was/is at 82-86 with the heaters, recently unplugged them. (normal temp is 76) It's still staying at 82-86.

Who else here unplugged their heaters during the summer?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
To be honest, I haven't used a heater in the last 2 years.

Right now my 180 is holding in the 79-82 range, so I'm going to watch the temperature because it's getting hot here too.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^haha. Sometimes you literally don't need one if your home stays ambient. Mine stays at 65* 70% of the year, and 40 or much less the other 30%. Because I live in the mountains, I thus require heaters lol.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I lived in a place that had hot summers during my undergrad. I always unplugged the heater during the summer and had to add floating frozen bottles to the tank a lot. It stayed at 85 if I didn't do that.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Mine stay plugged in, they just dont come on as often. I do keep my thermostat between 68-78 ℉ year round. I turn it down at night and set it upper 70s in the summer during the day.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
My thermostat is set at 80 during the summer, and at 70 during the winter. My 29g stays in the mid 70s, but the gambusia don't really need a heater. The BNs do, so I watched the temp and do have a heater if it drops below the safe zone.

I set the 180g up in late March, and filled it by running a hose in thru a window. I let it run for a week to bring the tank temp up, and have been watching it. I looked into heaters for it, but right now it doesn't need it. It might in the winter, but right now the tank has been staying about 2 degrees above the house temp.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I keep than on year round. Some tanks need to be higher than I keep the house temp at in the summer.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I normally need to use heaters in late fall into winter, but noticed I need to unplug them during summer as it gets very hot. My room alone can reach well into the 90s without an a/c while the rest of the upper level gets around 85-88 at times. That's a bit to hot. I just lost one of my goldfish, he was eating the day before and dead the next. (No illness from when I looked at him to be sure that wasn't the cause) Might need to put ice or something into the tank.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Frozen bottles are better than ice as they don't need to be filled with treated water and will lower the temp more slowly than just adding cubes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store