White Growths on Angel Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Llamafins

Registered Member
May 1, 2016
I bought 3 Angel fish today and noticed one of them has weird white growths on the side of him. I thought it was ich at first but someone told me it was hole in the head disease. I just wanted to get more opinions and treatment suggestions. He is currently in quarantine.

IMG_20160501_174539.jpg

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Its not ich for sure, but it doesn't look like HITH/HLLE either. It could be fungal, IMO but its hard to say for sure. If it is it will be hell to treat. Can you return him?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hard to tell. Could also be wounds from being beaten up. Keep him in QT with pristine water and observe. I'm not one for meds because I've never used them, so hopefully someone knowledgeable there will have a suggestion.

Llamafins

Registered Member
May 1, 2016
Unfortunately he died the today :( I noticed in the morning that the disease spread through most of his lower body. I'd rather not return and get another as it is from Petsmart. Last time I buy a fish from there.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You can return it without getting another (as long as the policy hasn't changed). Keep an eye on your others, I bet it's a fungus. . . PetSmart can be good or bad, the important part is knowing what to look for when you buy fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store