When to add de-chlorinator?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
scott....... nothing personal, but i do also believe your logic is flawed. i also think you might be confusing chlorine and chloramine. i have no scientific references handy to post with this, but it is a common understanding that chlorines 1/2 life is substantially less than chloramine. that is exactly why they use chloramine. chlorine will outgas on it's own in a matter of hours and will be diluted, chloramine is made to last awhile and might not outgas at all.

to sum this up, NIMFT, for the price of the dechlorinator i would prefer to be safe.

this arguement doesn't belong in newbies really either.... so we can take it to gen and i'll find references if you like.........

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Originally posted by ewok
scott....... nothing personal, but i do also believe your logic is flawed. i also think you might be confusing chlorine and chloramine. i have no scientific references handy to post with this, but it is a common understanding that chlorines 1/2 life is substantially less than chloramine. that is exactly why they use chloramine. chlorine will outgas on it's own in a matter of hours and will be diluted, chloramine is made to last awhile and might not outgas at all.
What arguement???? I don't understand where you get the idea that this was an arguement.

I was agreeing that it should be used.
I do know the difference between Chloramine and chlorine.

I am certainly not against using something like contrachlorine or aquaplus in anyway. If that is what the understanding was from my posts. Sorry. It wasn't ment to come off like that.

I do afterall use them.

My understand from the original post was that it was necessary and very important to add the decholr right away.

I just stated that it wasn't ....That's all.

My whole jist of this was it isn't a do or die situation if you don't add the the decholr right away into the water. You can add it after the water change is done. It won't kill off your tank.

Re-read my original post.

Anyway I must be having a communication problem these last couple of days. Sorry.

kvr

AC Members
Apr 17, 2001
Ghent, Belgium
allserv.UGent.be
Ewok, I did post this thread on the new boards in the general freshwater forum, but it was moved to the newbies section after a couple of hours. Anyway, when and how to add dechlorinator is a very important topic for newbies as well ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store