Variety foods for my Betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hi,
I'm wondering if I am feeding my Betta ( and everyone else in her tank ) The proper nutrition? I want healthy, happy fish! What I am already feeding is New life spectrum Betta pellets, some flake food that came with a tiny Betta starter kit* ( I don't know the name of this flake food ) Hikari mini algae wafers, and San
Francisco's Bay brand Mini frozen bloodworms.
What I'm asking is, should I feed more variety? Do you have any food suggestions?

Thanks!

* Don't worry, I moved her out of the half gallon kit and she's now in a 20L.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Variety is the spice of life and in my opinion you could never offer too much. If you want, you could always offer freeze dried/frozen Daphnia, brine shrimp, cyclops. Pretty much anything tbh.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you. Does it matter weather the Daphnia is frozen, or freeze- dried? Do they have the same nutritional value either way? Or live?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Live foods have more nutritional value than freezing or freeze drying. However, they are somewhat difficult to cultivate. Frozen and freeze dried should be roughly the same in nutritional value, but here the source will matter much more. Some brands are better than others. Hikari is great for frozen and freeze dried, San Francisco Bay (another common brand) is not so good.

Live foods also have the benefit of stimulating the natural hunting nature of the fish and possibly instill some health benefits through the mental exercise required.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Ok, thank you. I think I will go for Hikari's freeze dried, my freezer's full of frozen stuff already:)

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
Hi,
I'm wondering if I am feeding my Betta ( and everyone else in her tank ) The proper nutrition? I want healthy, happy fish! What I am already feeding is New life spectrum Betta pellets, some flake food that came with a tiny Betta starter kit* ( I don't know the name of this flake food ) Hikari mini algae wafers, and San
Francisco's Bay brand Mini frozen bloodworms.
What I'm asking is, should I feed more variety? Do you have any food suggestions?

Thanks!

* Don't worry, I moved her out of the half gallon kit and she's now in a 20L.
Here is a suggestion. . . Bettas go nuts for this stuff. . .

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
I have new life spectrum betta formula, hikari micro pellets for tropical fish, brine shrimp flakes in 2 brands, frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp- mine will not eat anything smaller like frozen brine shrimp, and they sometimes get some beef heart from my sunfish. Some will go to the bottom to grab some algae wafer or pellets if I feed snails or plecos directly in their tanks. Some won't touch anything that sinks below them so I have at least ramshorns in each tank for cleanup.

GuppyKeeper32

AC Members
Aug 5, 2016
They also love fruit flies! Make sure they get some pellets/flakes as well, I've found it actually keeps them from becoming constipated. (Strange I know!)

Gk

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Fruit flies? Like, are they supposed to just jump in the air and catch 'em?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store